Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

auto clutch vs manual clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 04:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im confused, which is better an auto clutch or manual clutch. i do a lot of trail riding with some open riding

the reason i want manual clutch is the speed that you get although when i ride on ice/mud/rocks and i have to go really slow i like the advantage of an auto clutch. im confused

can u go really slow on a manual clutch without stalling? i can ride fast with a man clutch but going slow i think i will wear out the friction plates too easly, is this true that by feathering the clutch the plates will be toast?

i really want a warrior,250x,250s, but i dont know about the clutches

thanks
mike

Old 10-30-2001, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Whats up man.

Manual clutch is mostly for racing and is good for situations where you dont want the drive wheels pushing you like down a steep hill, ice or any slippery situations. But then again gravity seems to push you more down a hill then when you have an auto clutch or Auto ATV with the engine braking, I think it really doesnt matter, whatever you want, if you trail ride with lots of sharp turns and places to slow you down alot, a manual clutch will be alot of work. If you dont mind that stuff then go with what you like best.

Old 10-31-2001, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

Remember, an auto clutch has a manual clutch inside the engine, and the centrivical clutch (used for low speed riding) has less surface contact area than a normal clutch plate system used on a racing quad. As I learned, after you switch to a manual clutch quad, you'll never want to go back. As for going slow, my 400ex can go just as slow as my recon (...wait a second...that sounds bad)

Old 10-31-2001, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

I recently bought a lakota sport (semi-auto)
I've never owned a semi auto before and realy thought this was for the kids and I would buy one soon after!

Let me tell you, it's not bad at all, I even kind of like it better.
The clutch is a true lock up type clutch, you can bang second gear and hang the front wheels, hit third and the front bounces up like a manual clutch does.
In the woods, fast or slow, it's a dream. No more clutch feathering, no more stalling, stay in the rite gear and bang the power is rite thier.
Now I have piped and jetted the lakota and have no clutch issues to complain about.

I know the manual clutch is awsome always had one.
Like I said I realy like this thing!

And if your wondering, yes I have taken it on a mx track in new orleans and I'll tell you what, a lot of raptors all kinds of ex's thier, as a matter of fact all kinds of bikes and they would all be blown away if they realized I had a semi-auto.

Old 10-31-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

I had an auto clutch once. I hated it. When you downshift going into a corner, the back wheels lock up, causing the rearend to bounce. I sold it after a month. I would never consider buying another one. Your best bet is to ride each of your options, and see which suits you the best.

Old 11-11-2001, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

it all depends on wut u want. i have a 300ex and my sis has a 250ex and my 300 has a lot more power off the start and it is a better shifter, dont get me wrong the lil 250 is an excellent machine. if you want to try a manual i say go for it cause they are alot more fun.

Old 11-12-2001, 12:02 AM
The Facility

It's a toss up if you don't race. There was a guy running the local track here a year ago who had a Lakota with all racks off,Renthals,nerfs,etc.

If you weren't really looking, you would swear it was a Mojave! While he never won [when I was there], he did finish around the top five everytime. Now the Raptors weren't out yet but the 400EX was and consisted of probally half the class.

I would just weigh the pros. and cons. of the whole idea. If you ride slowly the majority of the time go with an auto. If not, well..you know.

KNOWSALOT

Old 11-12-2001, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well I've had both and I will NEVER go back to auto clutch. I DONT RACE and I have riden in very tight technical trails (constant stop and go) and my clutch is fine. With an auto clutch you dont get all the power all the time it will just sit there and bog with the wheels not turning where as a manual clutch you can feather it and make it go. I think manual clutch is better for tight areas too because you can pull in the clutch and rev the motor and the wheels will usualy spin you right over what ever it is your trying to get over, Auto just bogs or slowly picks up speed. The only thing I would want an auto clutch for is if I was hauling heavy loads like logs or something very heavy. "I" think that auto clutch sport machines suck for anyone with experience but thats just me.

Old 11-12-2001, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. Im all for manual clutch's. I love hittin second or third and having the rear end step out under power.....

Now i think THIS would be fun... a 4X4 machine like the Forman, with high/low transfer case, and a manual clutch!! Fun fun fun... (for me anyway!)

Old 11-12-2001, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

I second that ! manual clutch Foreman with high and low........ oh wait isint that called a "jeep" lol

Quick Reply: auto clutch vs manual clutch