Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bought a cheap '86 TRX200SX, needs work, can anyone help this newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a cheap-o 4-wheeler today for $50. There is a hole in the case from where the chain snapped and now there's a hole in it, can it be welded or am i screwed? also, the rear suspension is f*cked, when i jump up and down on it, it bottoms right out, so I'm assuming that's toast too. Hmmmm, what else, the kid I bought it from said when it ran, it smoked badly, so I'm assuming the piston and rings are toast. I'm new to 4-strokes you see, I have a 2-stroke (99CR125) and have no clue to look for. Also, where can I find parts for this thing, I've tried a few websites, but ended up with next to nothing. Is it possible to switch motors (like a 250 4-stroke motor?). I just bought this thing to play around with in the winter and to have some fun on some drunk occasions, my next-door neighbor is a small engine repairman and he has tons of sleds, cycles, etc hanging around his house, maybe he can help me out? But what do you guys think I should do? Thanks guys!

Old 11-26-2001, 02:28 AM
The Facility

As far as the case being busted, that is a notorius problem on those machines. I don't recall seeing one that wasn't busted in years. It is too easy to misalign the axle when adjusting the chain and that is what causes it. It can be welded, but make sure that the welder knows how to work with alum. Also, after it is welded, you will have to have it machined very thin because the stator is VERY close to the outer edges of the case. A new case is about $120 to $150 depending on the dealer.

As far as hop ups go, both Curtis Sparks and Powroll have the parts to make it scream. Although the bottom end is different, The cylinder and head are the exact parts that are used on the '86-'87 ATC 200X engine. So there is plenty potential there. If you really wanted it to haul, you could just use the entire engine from the 200X, if you can deal with a kickstart and a manual clutch. The '86 and '87 200X 3 wheelers were just as fast as the 350X in top speed. These year models were 6 speeds and the sixth gear was geared very tall for an ATV.

KNOWSALOT

Old 11-28-2001, 03:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, thanks man for responding! I'm glad someone answered me! Anyway, I've tried looking for some parts for this wheeler, and have come up with mediocre results. Dennis Kirk has a few parts, but not many. You said the cylinder and head from a 86-87 ATC 200X are the same as mine, right? So I can buy parts from Dennis Kirk (cylinder and head) such as timing chain, etc. But not the bottom end correct? Also, I did a search on this site and I saw that a 80-81 YZ80 rear spring would fit on my wheeler, whoever said that said it would give it more ground clearance and it would be a lot stiffer. Are they correct that it would fit my TRX200SX? I really want to get this wheeler running again because I read that these machines are a blast to play with! Also, where can I find a new seat foam for this? Mines trashed and needs new foam and seat cover. Are there any grease fittings (zerks) on this quad? I really haven't had a chance to look at it. I need to find a way to put this quad in my basement, to take a good look at it, since I do not have a garage. Any more things I should do to my quad such as bearings, seals, and gaskets to look at? I'm willing to put a good $500 worth of work into this thing. So by the time spring comes, I can have some fun during mudding season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks man!

Ryan

Old 11-28-2001, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Not the best thing to do but... use JB weld on the case. I had to do this to my old LT230 when the chain put a whole in it and it actually worked pretty good.

Old 11-28-2001, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also just bought a 1986 TRX200sx.I paid 100.00 for mine and it runs and shifts very good.The case on mine was also worn through and leaking oil,I fixed it with JB Weld.I have been buying my parts on Ebay.I bought front wheels and tires and complete front brake system.The plastic on mine is pretty bad but I will worry about that when I get the brakes fixed.When you find out what you need let me know and maybe I can give you some ideas.
John diggers@mc.net