Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex owners, need your input?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001 | 04:44 PM
|
Trailblazer

My 18 year old son is selling his warrior and is seriously looking to buy a new 400ex, the one downfall is the no reverse. We do alot of hard trail riding, mud, water and hills. I have a wolverine and use reverse all the time. Since he is used to it, how big of a problem with out it? Also with the warrior we went through alot of bearings, axle, wheel, swingarm, even the rear shock blew out. What kind of problems has anyone experienced with the 400? Any bearing problems? Is it high maintence? The other option is waiting for the new Suzuki 400. But I don't think he wants to wait that long. We both have ridden a 400 and like it alot. Would like your opinions.

Old 12-16-2001 | 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

a good friend of mine has a warrior. he swore by it until the day he rode my 400. now all he does is talk about how he wishes he had a 400EX.

Old 12-16-2001 | 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

I understand how you feel about the 400ex not having reverse. I was a little bit skepical about it also. I used to own a 300ex and was very used to having the reverse gear. Trust me, its not a problem at all. I don't miss not having reverse at all. Sure, it would be a nice thing to have, however the 400ex is a HIGH PERFORMANCE QUAD. Just like the Banshee, DS 650, and the Cannondale. I understand that you ride in some pretty tights trails in mud and steep hills, but the 400ex will tactle them all with no problems. In my opinion, if you really know how to ride tight trails very well, you don't need reverse. Because somehow or some way, you can find a way to turn yourself around.

As for mechanical problems on the 400ex. There are none. Honda took the best motor and the best frame that they have ever made and put them together and came up with the 400ex. In 1999, when the 400ex hit the showroom floor, not even a year from its debut, it was named the ATV OF THE CENTURY. The 400ex is the fastest machine on the market, however it has awesome suspension/handling manners and superb controls. As for it being high maintenance, none what so ever. Remember, its a Honda. Honda's have been known for lasting forever. Just as long as you take care of them. As for waiting for the new Suzuki Z-400. I wouldn't. I am sure that its a nice machine. However Suzuki's haven't been as reliable as Honda's have.

Old 12-16-2001 | 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Having owned a quad with reverse, he will probably miss the reverse at first. But, after a few rides, he will learn how to ride so he does not get into a situation that requires reverse. I ride with guys who have huge 4x4 monster ATV's and I have only wished for reverse on one or two occasions.

As far as bearings and stuff, my 400EX came sadly under lubricated. Luckily, I discovered it before I actually ruined expensive parts. When I checked my rear axle bearings six months after I got it, I discovered there was almost no grease in the axle carrier. My outer dust seals were toast. I replaced them, and fabricated a zerk setup so I could lube the rearend with a greasegun. I don't recommend you go to that much trouble, unless you ride in wet areas where the bearings are going to be submerged a lot. The object of my grease zerks is only to keep a good grease pack in the cavity between the outer dust seal, and the bearings. I got my 400EX in september of 1998 and I have never had to change any bearings yet. If you ride in muddy, wet areas constantly, you are going to need to do more frequent maintenence. I tear my 400EX down once a year, and refresh the grease in all the chassis joints. I do a serious teardown and lube about once a year, and when I ride, I avoid deep water holes when I can.
If your son rides aggressively, the front shocks and handlebars will be the first things to go. I haven't had much of any serious problems with my 400EX. I bent my handlebars, so I replaced them with some aluminum. Last summer, I nosed a double, and hit my chest on my bars, broke a rib, and it bananna'ed my steering stem (didn't crash, but came in dead last place...) I replaced the stem with a stock one again, because, I don't want that to be too strong.

My friend broke his swingarm, had it welded, and broke it again. So, now he has a Lonestar swingarm. I have seen 2 other broken 400EX swingarms, so I kinda worry about mine. I check it often, and so far so good.

Old 12-16-2001 | 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Ive had reverse on almost all my quads, when i got my 259R i became a better rider, I didnt need reverse anymore now I can go places that quads with reverse can't. As for getting the 400EX VS the Z400 I wouldn't wait, have you seen the great chain adjustment system on the Z400 ? LOL it's great.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] 400EX is a good machine, it doesn't seem to have a whole lot of power to me coming off a 250R but from coming off a warior you will be happy as a clam. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

PS Fourtracker14 the 400EX is by far not the fastest machine on the market.

Old 12-16-2001 | 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

Killer250r,

Yeah your right. I know its not the fastest machine on the market. I accidently forgot to put the word "not" when I was trying to make my point. Thanks for catching that. Sorry fellas, my mistake. The 400ex is by far not the fastest ATV on the market today. But I think it does a pretty desent job for the type of machine that it is.

Fourtracker14

Old 12-17-2001 | 10:25 AM
zoo
Pro Rider

I love the dependability of my 400EX, it is practically maintenance-free "practically". If you keep up on the usually maintenance (oil change, clean air filter, cleaning it thoroughly after hard rides), it will provide you with years of fun satisfaction. True it's no rocket ship, but if I understand your type of riding, mach-2 is not what you or your son are looking for. Besides it has loads of potential for build up later on if that's what you want.