Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Won't go over 20 MPH. And Screen is Flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002 | 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

I got your message late last night. I will look up the code when I get home from work.

Old 01-08-2002 | 12:44 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks TEXMud I wasn't for sure if I had the correct e-mail so I posted it here also.

jcsact

Old 01-08-2002 | 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Error Code 11 is a problem with the ECM. That is the Engine Control Module. Almost all of the tests to track down the problem involve testing electrical wires.

Old 01-09-2002 | 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

jcsact,

Try hitting Control+Alt+Delete that should fix the problem. Oops I'm sorry, that's for Microsoft products only. Just take it to your local Honda dealer, I'm sure he'll hook it up to his computer and charge you an arm and a leg for a relatively simple problem. That is, if he doesn't have to ship the transmisson back to Japan to be fixed.

Old 01-09-2002 | 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Mike, thanks for your imput. Great way to help a fellow quad rider in need.

Old 01-09-2002 | 11:45 AM
|
Pro Rider

I appreciate the help Mark. I just rode through the woods right before it happen so hopefully a branch just caught a wire that either got cut or unplugged but I doubt it just the way my luck runs :-) . I tried to look to see if I could find any wires that looked damaged but I had no luck in the wiring jungle they have on the Ruby's. The bad thing is that the 4-wheeler doesn't have 30 hours on it yet and it is not even 8 months old and I bet they won't cover it under warranty either.

Thanks
Justin

Old 01-09-2002 | 02:43 PM
|
Pro Rider

TEXMud I guess I am luckier than I thought. I called the dealer to see if they had found anything out yet and they said that they got the Ruby fixed yesterday evening. I asked them what the problem was and they said there was a plug disconnected somewhere. When I go to pick her up I will have them show me where the plug is. If anyone runs in to the same problem I will try and help by having you look there first.

Thanks for everyone’s help!!!

And a special thanks to all of the Mental Giants that posted remarks too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So glad you could share your wit.

Old 01-09-2002 | 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

My initial guess would be one of the 3 plugs by the coolant overflow tank. I have heard of these coming loose, but never had it happen to me. Glad to see your all fixed now.

Old 01-09-2002 | 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Whoa, sorry! I see you guys have little or no sense of humor. The funny (strange, not ha ha) thing is, you would have been laughing at me if a part on a Polaris failed, and I would have been laughing right with you. It's all fun and games when one of our "UNRELIABLE" Polaris machines breaks down, but when a much vaunted "RELIABLE" Honda breaks down, stop the presses because the world is coming to an end! Give me a break! Some one once said that the more complex you make something the easier it is to break. Well this is a shining example. They (Honda) could have gone with something simple, something that the average person could work on, but NOOOOOOO! They wanted something better and more complex than the "simple" belt drive that everyone else has. Think about this when any of you go to purchase the new Rincon, which uses a completely different type of transmission than the Rubicon (gee, I wonder why?).

You know, I can remember when Honda actually put out an owners manual that had something besides "SEE DEALER FOR SERVICING" in it. They actually put out a manual that told you how to adjust the valves and ignition timing, basically everything short of tearing the motor down. Yeah that was a while ago (early '70s), but now they would rather have you take it to the dealers and spend $45 an hour on labor so they can do something as simple as changing your spark plug. I learned how motors work by tinkering with MANY Hondas in the past. Now those days are gone, they've been replaced with computer chips and hook ups for computers. Gee, fun huh?

Old 01-09-2002 | 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Mike, if you will note I said nothing about a Polaris. Actually I usually bow down to SP500s at my local place, the ground clearance is unreal. All quads will have problems, this is life. As far as my transmission goes, I have more engine mods than any other Rubicon owner I have seen. I am pumping out more torque than any other rubicon I have seen. I have 900 some odd pure mud miles on and ride deep water (deep enough to warrent a snorkel). I have yet to have any transmission problems.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Won't go over 20 MPH. And Screen is Flashing.