Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Won't go over 20 MPH. And Screen is Flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001 | 03:30 AM
|
Pro Rider

I was riding my dad's Rubicon today and after I went through the woods we rode down a gravel road and the screen where the speedo and all the other information is started to flash. Well actually it was the area that shows you what range and the esp, d1 or d2 was flashing it did not show the range you were in just 2 bars. The Ruby would not go over 22 mph before hitting the rev. limiter and when in reverse it would back fire spit and sputter. Has this happened to any one else. I though maybe that a stick might have cut or pulled some wires somewhere. I checked the fuses in the back right behind the battery and they were good. We did have to hook a battery charger up to it the day before just because it had been setting in the barn for about a month and a half with out being started but after we got it running it ran fine all day. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 12-31-2001 | 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

I'm no expert by any means, but if the battery doesn't have enough voltage to exceed the computer threshold you could have something like that happen. The owners manual states that if the transmission isn't working properly, the gear indicater will flash. Make sure none of the vent tubes coming from the carburetor are clogged or kinked(those little boogers can cause all kinds of running problems). Check the battery and charging system. If that's ok, unhook the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the computer. Make sure your coolant level is OK too. If that's not helping, you may have something for Honda to deal with.

Old 12-31-2001 | 01:25 PM
Range Rover

Any chance you shifted between d1 - d2 without first putting the gear selector in neutral? When I bought my Rubicon the dealer told me this can cause an error where the machine will do exactly what you're describing. There should be instructions in the owners manual on how to reset the system.

Old 12-31-2001 | 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

I think it's broken Bye a new one

Old 01-01-2002 | 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

It appears that your onboard computer took a hit and it is now in the get home mode. Last year there were several posts on here on how to check for error codes and resetting the computer. You might do a search on the forum and find out how to reset the computer. I know TexMud knows how to do it and he's very helpful to most guys who ask.

Good Luck

Old 01-01-2002 | 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'd say that your computer is fudged up.

Old 01-04-2002 | 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

You are in what is called "Default Mode". This is the safe mode the computer puts the quad in when there is a problem. For instance if you are running too low on oil, it will go into default mode so that you dont hurt the engine. I have had mine go into default mode when I had an electrical short. The computer stores trouble codes that you can retrieve. I suggest you buy a service manaul and retreive the code. I have some instructions on my web site www.ansley.net and you can email me the code you get and I will look it up.

People laugh at having a computer on board, but heck if my quad wants to shut down if I loose oil....I'll take that computer any day over an engine siezure.

Old 01-04-2002 | 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

You dont have to be in neutral to shift from D1 to D2. You just have to come to a compete stop to do it. You can still be in D on the shifter.

Old 01-08-2002 | 10:43 AM
|
Pro Rider

TexMud
I got a code # 11 I was wondering if you could look that up for me. If anyone else has a manual I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks in advance

Old 01-08-2002 | 10:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I believe code #11 is a 650 Prarie or a 660 Grizzley is within sniffing distance. Just kidding!!!! Your dealer should give that info over the phone.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Won't go over 20 MPH. And Screen is Flashing.