Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent the last several weeks looking at different quads and reading everything that I could find. After alot of thought and some help from this forum, I just picked up my new Rancher 4X4 ES on Saturday. We did 28 miles Sunday and I am very pleased with my decision. The ES is great and the lengths that Honda went through to keep it sporty and stable have paid off. I do have one question. I ride in Pa. and on Sunday it was about 35 degrees, while I am not complaining, I think that the engine could have been smoother. It seems to be somewhat "rough" throughout the entire powerband not just one throttle position. A friend who is into racing two wheelers, thinks that it is the carb jetting. I noticed it, but don't think that it is bad enough to worry about right now. I plan to ride it 12 months a year and don't really want to get into tuning to temps if I don't have to. Right now I plan to get through the break-in before I decide. Is this likely to get better after the break-in period and a few tanks of gas or I am going to have to look into changing carb set-up as our PA weather changes?

Old 02-15-2000, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

Congats, Galt. I've had my Rancher about a month now, and couldn't be more happy with it. I rode alot Sunday and the temps were around 28f, the only vibration I noticed was at high rpm, but nothing objectionable. If it is really vibrating bad, I'd bring it to the dealer and see what he has to say. Good luck anyhow.

Old 02-15-2000, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

galt,

As a former person from near your home town (I came from Leechburg, my parents still live there) I'd have to say that unless you wish to run the Rancher a little rich in the summer, (a little rich won't hurt it) you'd better get used to it running a little lean in the winter.

As it gets colder, the air gets denser and this causes the machine to run a little lean. How lean depends on what temperature the machine was originally set at and how cold it is when you ride. If your carburator has a idle mixture screw, give it a half turn out. If the needle has slots in it you would want to move the clip down towards the pointy end that goes into the bottom of the carburator. If it has none of these features, and you still want to ride, take it to the dealer and have him install the proper jets for the weather. I don't think you'll burn the motor up by running in cold weather with hot weather jets, but the performance won't be there.

Hope this helps! From a former citizen of Leechburg.........

Old 02-15-2000, 05:16 AM
Trailblazer

Congrats Galt, I've had mine for just over a week now. I've done about 25 miles on the snowmobile trails. I can't wait for some bare ground riding. I still have a trx 300 but I really love the Rancher. Good luck

Old 02-15-2000, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Galt,

Congratulations, I too just purchased my Rancher: I held out for three months awaiting an Orange one from the local dealers here in Central Ohio. I've had it now for a month and have ridden in many varied tempatures.

While I expect some rough running in the cold weather I honestly cannot say I've the same experience that you've had. I'd say take it back to the dealer, while still under warrenty and have it checked out.

Great choice, Great Ride.

Old 02-15-2000, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer

I would take it back to the dealer and ask what they think. It is hard to diagnose a problem with text. It doesn't sound right though.

Old 02-17-2000, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've ridden mine in 20 degree weather ....never had a problem with rough running...although I have only have a week but I do have about 60 miles on it. I would definitely give the dealer a call.