Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Do you actually listen to the warning labels on quads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my warning label covers from this guy for like $20.

ebehrman@qwest.net

I looked at his website, and I'm not sure if he's still making them. But, you could ask him where he bought the materials, and you could make them yourself. All you'd need to do is cut a thin sheet of aluminum to fit the space where your label was, and drill the holes for the rivets. You can either polish the aluminum (or diamond plate for you 4x4 guys) and get the carbon fiber vinyl sticker to put over the aluminum. It is very durable and very shiny. I thought about buying some materials and making them myself.

I can email you a picture of how they look installed. chadhamel@earthlink.net

Old 04-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

My warning labels have yet to say anything![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2002, 11:28 PM
The Facility

I know it doesn't really fit this topic, but close enough for me. I thought it was hilarious, so I thought I would pass it along.

At the dealer expo in Indianopolis two years ago, there was one of those "taiwan" kid quad companies that a few models on display. [There seem to be a hundred of these companies these days]

One of the ATV's on display had a funny warning decal on the front fender that was real and wasn't safety related at all, but had to do with the machine not cranking. It showed an ATV UPSIDE DOWN in the back of a truck printed within a circle and had an "X" over the picture. No $h!T!! When have you ever hauled an ATV upside down in your truck???? The truck looked like a Kawasaki Mule..LOL......some countries!!!!

I also saw an ATV from this same company that had a decal on the tank advising the rider to tuck long and "loose" hair under a baseball cap to prevent it from being caught in mechanical parts behind the seat. Ofcourse, after reading this, the first thing I did was check out the rear end right?? Nothing there but your usual cheap quality parts back there. Makes you wonder just WHERE were these ATVs made......OR who their intended buyer might be.

Old 04-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

Those labels are a gentlemans agrement between the Consumer Products Safety Commision and the manufacturers. All dealers must enforce them or risk losing their right to sell whatever brand is in question. If you want to make a difference write a letter to the CPSC or something like that. I agree 16 year olds should be able to have at least 250s.

Old 04-13-2002, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

like people said above. it is the skill of the rider. i personally thing that before you buy a machine( this is for the people who wake up one day and decide to buy a quad)that they should have to take a saftey test or like a riding test to see their ablities on a machine and to see what catagory they fit in to for machines. and the thing with three wheelers is that you get kids that go from a little atc 110 then like a 250sx. then jump right up to high performance machines like the 350x and 250r. it is a whole different balll game when it comes to the big 3 wheelers just like the high performance 4 wheelers of today. that is just my oppinion.

Old 04-13-2002, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Ruh roh! I think the label police are camped out in the bushes with a 60x spotting scope ready to move in if I start popping the rivets off the safety label plaques!

The deal is sparky riding double does impare munueverability, that may or may not matter depending on where you're going paticularly up steep hills. Then there's the underage power limit, that's derived because kids are a little dim sometimes and statistics bear this out, perhaps their insurance company doesn't raise the premiums enough when they screw up. Roads, there isn't a stock ATV made that meets basic DOT motorcycle standards, this has nada to do with roadability though, also ATV use by unlicsened drivers is expected...kids aren't up to speed on how to drive safely the attrition even starting at age sixteen while driving is high, lastly there's also a faction of people against ATV's and on the road they're highly visible to those paticular a--h---s. Let's see now that leaves impairment, avoid getting overly sozzled or worse, fried before riding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]