Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Edelbrock Carb--Don't Rely on Plug Reading!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an Edelbrock, your used spark plug should be SILVER, with little or no deposits on it. This will fool those who are used to looking for a brown plug if properly jetted, gray if lean, or black if rich. Based on the silver plug, one might assume that the engine is running way lean. I called tech service, and they assured me that SILVER IS THE CORRECT COLOR. Something about the way this carb mixes the air and fuel, makes the usual plug reading method invalid.

I don't know why Edelbrock doesn't mention this in the service manual? Maybe they did, and I just missed it?? Anyway, just tune the bike for the best performance, and you will be OK. The stock needle is 15-E (works with lightly moded engines-K&N, vented airbox, mufler and header), 12 clicks form full rich on the needle height, and 2 1/4 turns out on the pump shot are good places to start.

I have taken this carb apart to see what makes it tick, and am impressed with its ELEGANT SIMPLICITY, and EASY TUNING. Anyone who is half-way mechanical can tune this thing themselves. I am also very impressed with the altitude compensation feature.

Old 04-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you gotten much seat time on it yet? A friend of mine just ordered an IMS440 kit, WB cam and reb box, Carillo rod, and he's thinking about getting the Edelbrock. I've ran a Lectron before, and they're somewhat similar. Have you experienced any throttle lag? How much more "seat of the pants" power did it give you? Thanks!