Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What is the difference between atv/cycle oil and auto oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Your machine uses the same oil for your clutch and engine."

Now that is a true statement. So then, what is so different about the pistons, rings, crankshaft and other components in an ATV engine that requires a special oil? Do you really believe ATV and motorcycle engine designers decided that it made sense to make use of an engine that required a special oil? And wouldn't their competition just love it if they did.

Heck, maybe you guys should start writing Honda so that will start selling their own brand of gas.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Well Jon I'm not an expert and I too asked a similar question about this subject for me and my buddies.

There was an article on CT's website and in ATV Sport not to long ago talking about this subject. Well from what I read "Digger Gust" and "Rath" are using Castrol Syntec (grey bottle) 10w-40 in both there bikes this up and coming season.

CT will leave special instructions in your packet when you recieve your motor back and I guess from what I understand they tell you to use Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec in there motors for bearing wear and longevity.

It's your call dude, some guys use this and some guys use that, and some have good luck and some have bum luck..... It's 50/50 man

Old 04-26-2002, 12:55 AM
The Facility

These oil topics get old and never does anyone who leaves them get the information they were looking for.

There is a difference between motorcycle oil and automotive oils. Without making a long and confusing post, the motorcycle oil IS automotive oil EXCEPT that it has additives to keep it from breaking down as easy as a traditional automotive oil. It contains these additives because the transmission in an ATV or motorcycle does more to break down the oil than the crankshaft and other ENGINE componets. Automotive oils were only made with the use of the engine in mind. NOT the transmission.

Your high quality [5.00 a quart] automotive oils, from what I understand, have these additives and were designed for use in your small engines with multple camshafts and gear driven camshafts. This oil has to be of this grade in these vehicles for the same reason that ATV's require it. Because it breaks down faster. However, with this grade of oil for automotive use, this type also contains modifiers that make it "slicker" than comvential oil. This is where you end up with your damage to the centrifugal clutch. So, I see how CT and others use this oil being that there is no centrifugal clutch in these machines.

Well, I don't know how to make it any more simpler to understand than that.

And for the hundredth time...Honda or any other OEM makes NOTHING off the engine oils. They do not sell it or have anything to do with it's distibution. It comes from the oil companies themselves.