Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX 350 Rancher smoking. Any suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on a run a couple of nights ago and all of a sudden my bike started smoking (oil) big time. A friend suggested it might have turned a ring, so I tore it down and sure enough the upper oil ring was in line with the lower compression ring. While the head was off I checked the valves and they looked OK but I did not have a valve compressor to check under the seats, the cylinder wall also looked good. I set the rings according to the spec in the book, and put it back together and the bike still smokes. Some quetions some of you may be able to answer:
1. Is it possible that it will smoke for a couple of days until the rings reseat?
2. The bike does not smoke when it is idling nor does it lack power or top end so does that rule out wore rings and cylinder?
3. Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Old 05-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

"Smoking is bad, mkay, so don't smoke..."

Seriously though, it could be a few things. The valve seats, as you meantioned, could do it, also, the valve seals may need replaced. Is it smoking less than before now? How much have you run it since the rebuild? Since it was burning alot of oil, you may still have oil deposits in yous pipe that are burning when the pipe heats up. When you say the cylinder didn't look bad, was there ANY scoring at all? Did you hone the cylinder before you installed the new rings? Sorry for all the questions, I would like to help but need a little more info.

Old 05-22-2002, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, yes it is smoking less than before but still quite a bit, it seems to smoke more when you let off on the throttle. I have run it for about 45 minutes since since I turned the rings back into proper position so I would think the oil would be burned out of the exhaust by now, but I do not know for sure. No there was no scoring at all on the cylinder wall and no I did not have it honed. I have since learned that I should have replaced the rings and had the cylinder honed. Thanks for the help

Old 05-23-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

New valve guides,rings & valve seals will fix your problem.Good look Daryl