Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

K&n airfilter

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys theres been a few things wondering me about this filter i have. First of all will it improve top speed? If mine runs at 60-62mph what will be its top speed once i add it? How much power increase will it have, and will it be alot snappier? I put mine on order and it will be in friday.

Old 05-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

With just an air filter, you won't notice any increase in power at all. If you add a pipe/muffler combo and then increase your main jet, yeah, you'll notice it! It might add 2-3 horsepower, but that's about it. You will accelerate faster. Your top speed will not increase at all. You have a rev-limiter and no matter what you do, you can only spin the engine so fast before it kicks in. You will reach top speed faster, but it's going to be the same top-speed.

Old 05-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you and the other thing is what can i put on it for more power? I was gonna get a jet kit for it but what will i have to do if i get one.

Old 05-27-2002, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I can say from experience that the K&N does improve response and seat of the pants improvement in performance. I do not know if the improvements are measurable or not but it does help perk things up without a doubt. However it was after adding a Big Gun pipe and removing the airbox lid (and re-jetting accordingly) that my little 300EX turned nasty bad on me. I am just really impressed with how much more performance there is from bottom to top.

Old 05-27-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

there is a little difference in take off, and if you listen close you can hear a deeper sound when you first take off. But I can also tell you, my K&N was a killer to get in at first. I had to get it worn it first I guess. Oh and keep it cleaned.

Old 05-28-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

If you want more power and only want to do "bolt ons" then you need the air filter, jet change, and a pipe/muffler combo. You will definitly feel and notice an improvement if you do! The 300EX my wife had, I had put on the Supertrapp pipe and a K & N with an outerwear, tossed the air box lid, and increased the main jet two sizes. Ran much better, but still bumped against the rev limiter all too often.
For faster accelleration (but lower top speed) you can run a smaller diameter rear tire or you can increase the rear sprocket size by getting one with 3 more teeth (or go 1 tooth smaller on the counter shaft gear). By lowering the gearing, you will definitly notice an improvement. Personally, I thought the EX had too low 1st gear so I didn't lower the gearing at all.
Then, if you really want more power, of course you can tear into the motor and do a big-bore and all that. You will still want the pipe/air filter regardless of what you do.

Old 05-29-2002, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have another question..i just took the lid off of my airbox and will that hurt the engine? WIll i need to rejet?

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2002, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

No it wont hurt your engine as long as you avoid getting water in your intake and you run an Outerwear and keep it cleaned.

Performance wise it will allow much more air in which if nothing else is changed, will cause you to run lean. Or said another way, with the airbox off you can run a larger jet and get more fuel (performance)out of your engine.

I ride at 9000 ft and have a Big Gun pipe, K&N and no airbox lid. Dynajet estimated that I would need about 120 on the main jet with that setup and altitude but with experimentation I found that 128 (stock is 122)is as rich as I can go without running rough at full throttle. When I put the lid back on with the 128 jet in place, it sputtered at full throttle, indicating I was too rich but with the cover off, it was spot on. At lower altitudes the jetting will be completely different of course but the experimentation process is the same. Always better to error on the rich side and come down until you get good full throttle performance than to run lean and find out later you have damaged you engine slowly by running hot. Performance wise, you may not know you are too lean which is why it is best to start high and come down. Good luck.