Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

First time buyer....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002 | 01:01 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I am a first time ATV buyer and I have narrowed down my choice to the Sportsman 500 or Yamaha Kodiak or Grizzly, so I thougt. I would be riding for fun all the time, scouting for hunting areas, hunting and play in the mountains of Colorado. This weekend, I came across a deal on the 2002 Honda Rubicon for $6,000 out the door at a local dealer. In reading opinions on line, it sounds like a good machine, however, my big concern is the all time 4WD. How does that effect performance or does it hurt the vehicle as it would any other vehicle?

Should this be a concern for me or is it a plus? What other advantages or disadvantages can you tell me? I have till Wed. to decide in order to get the sale price.

I also hear it's still a quicker machine than both the Sportsman and the Grizzly....True?

HELP?

Old 06-11-2002 | 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Well, any atv is only as fast as the person riding it. I had a Yamaha Wolverine for a while, and it (with its 350cc motor) would walk all over the 500cc quads. I have ridden with people that own all of the bikes you listed, and they all love them. The all time 4wd doesn't hurt the quads, because they have a limited slip in the front. It would be nice to take it out of 4wd sometimes so you can play a little more agressively. I personally like the new kodiaks and grizzlies. They are nice looking and very reliable. If you don't care about independant rear suspension, get the kodiak and save a few bucks, otherwise I'd go for the grizzly. A big motor is a great thing, and you won't grow out of this bike.

Old 06-11-2002 | 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

If you like playing around on the trails once in a while, You should get a quad that you can shift out of 4 wheel drive. I made the mistake of buying a full time 4X4 for my first quad. I sold it two months later, and bought a Kodiak. It's fun to put it in 2 wheel drive, and slide around corners and such, plus, it's a lot easier to sterr when in 2 WD.

If speed is a factor for you, my Kodiak will outrun a Rubicon that is in our riding group.

The Sportsman will require more maintenance than the others listed, it has a dozen grease zerks that need to be greased.

If you're looking for all out torque, speed, and sportiness in a utility, don't overlook the Kawasaki 650 Praire.

Old 06-14-2002 | 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Don't get a FULL TIME 4wd youll be sorry... Allyou need would be a Honds Forman S or ES.

Old 06-14-2002 | 01:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Mr. First Time -

Here are my thoughts.

1. Determine your type of riding. ( Since you say that you will be riding for fun you MUST have the ability to from 2WD to 4WD if you envision yourself going fast at all and sliding around corners etc.) If you are just putzing around then the 4x4 fulltime is no problem.

2. Go sit on them all.... I ruled out the Kodiak to small... And narrowed it down to the Rubicon, Grizzly and Prairie 650. ( No Polaris for me... )

3. They are all $6,000

4. Honda has the best reputation for quality hands down..

5. The Yamaha has the better "crawling" cuz of the indy rear end. The Kaw is the fastest and better slider cuz of the solid rear and twin motor.

6. The Honda is an all around. BUT now Warn makes this product that is called a 424 Select that allows you to make the Honda go from 4x4 to 4x2 and back....

I bought the Kaw cuz the 424 from Warn was not out yet... Now I would highly consider the Honda...

Good Luck
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]