Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Got a 250r a few weeks ago, and......

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002 | 10:21 PM
|
Pro Rider

I do agree with someone's comment, better to rich than lean. I will check the plug, today or tomorow. I have ran a tank of gas through it already @ 32-1. It does run WAY better than when I first brought it home. I ran 16-1 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] runs a lot better @ 32-1. I will post findings.

Ron

Old 07-01-2002 | 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

I am not here to argue, but I have to disagree. We are talking about lubrication for a piston. If that works for you, then fine. I WILL NEVER DO THAT TO ONE OF MY ENGINES! I have never stuck a piston in 15 years & I don't plan on starting now. If someone else in this forum wants to run that ratio I can't stop them, but it will not be me. I will say this one more time, I use PJ1 goldfire pro, which is full synthetic, at 32:1. I have my CR jetted just like the manual says for my climate & I get perfect plug readings. You do not jet so you can use a certain ratio. You jet for the climate you are in & elevation you are at according to the intake & exhaust air flow!

Old 07-01-2002 | 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't run any oil in the gas it will scream like a wild boar in heat! The oil takes power away from the fire. That is common sense. The oil is in the gas to LUBRICATE the piston, not give it more power!

Old 07-01-2002 | 11:53 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hope that wasn't towards me! I agree...
Anyways, looked at the plug and it wasn't white, nor brown. A little black, not bad. I have seen fouled out plugs and it wasn't fouled out. Just a little black. So..... Do I leave it @ 32-1 or go 42-1 (no higher though) OR adjust the carb, turn the screw in 1/4 or so, OR leave it alone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

FOOTNOTE: To me, it runs good. No hesitation and any throttle positions, yet. Also, the previous owner was 4,000 +/- feet (in elevation) lower than I am. It starts on first kick usually (bad back and all).

Ron

Old 07-02-2002 | 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

DesertBum, Not towards you at all. I think where people are getting confussed is on the back of a 2-stroke oil bottle it says how it can be mixed. This means that it is capable of mixing at that ratio. My weed eater runs on 50:1. My mothers Lawn-Boy runs on 32:1. My blower runs on 42:1. A 250R runs on 32:1. On the back of PJ1 Goldfire Pro it has a chart of how much oil goes with how much gas to achieve the proper ratio for each use. I am not sure about the other brands, but I would think they have the same kind of chart. Also about the plug reading, you would have to make a wide open pass & shut engine off to get a main jet reading. You would have to turn throttle 1/4 and adjust air screw to see if pilot or (slow) jet were correct. Then, when exiting a corner getting back on the throttle is where you make changes in the needle position.

Old 07-02-2002 | 01:07 AM
|
Pro Rider

Sounds like a lot to do to achieve it. I think maybe i'll just leave it alone. On the back of my bottle it says 50-1 is for normal use and 42-1 is for extrem/heavy use. This stuff is a synthetic blend, maybe thats why. I'll stick with 32-1 I guess. Worse case, I change the plug sooner, right??
Do you think since I am at a higher elevation, I could go 42-1, would that brown out the plug?? I do agree
52-1 is to high, someone told me they ran 100-1, crazy!

Ron

Old 07-02-2002 | 02:56 AM
|
Pro Rider

Forgot to add, the previous oil I used was TCW3 oil, got it at Walmart (I can hear it now), maybe thats why it looks like it was running rich? Forgot to add that.

Ron

Old 07-02-2002 | 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

lol, That oil is pretty light. I don't think it would have made much differance. Just use your 3 gallons & if your plug is ok I would not worry about it. The jetting is easier than it sounds. Just have to take care of which ever jet would be causing a problem. If 32:1 causes plug problems, which I don't think it will, let me know & we will tackle jetting. You will only be out a few bucks. I still believe you should jet instead of running 42:1. That is just the way I would do it. You would be changing fuel/air mixture instead of fuel/oil mixture which, like I said before, is the only thing lubricating the piston.
p.s. I have a jetting chart for my CR. If your quad has the same carb., we could get it right without reading the plug!

Old 07-02-2002 | 06:47 PM
|
Pro Rider

p.s. I have a jetting chart for my CR. If your quad has the same carb., we could get it right without reading the plug!

How? Remember, I have a bad back. Do I just turn the screw(s) on the carb? I have a 1982 250r ATC (not quad)if that makes a difference. After running the 32-1 already, the plug is a little black, not bad, have seen worse. Would like to stick with 32-1 also.

Here is my question?? Should I even mess with it? It kicks on first start, and runs good... But the other side of the token is you say it should have no black on plug, and it has some, not a lot.

Ron

Old 07-02-2002 | 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it's in good shape. Black means a rich condition which is good for engine. If it is clean, I would'nt touch a thing. If we mess with jetting, the only thing you would gain is a little more power. If it runs & cranks like you say, I would'nt touch a thing. For some reason I was not even thinking about it being a three wheeler. It's pretty much the same engine though. If it idles good & runs good just off idle, air screw and pilot jet is fine. If it launches good without a stumble, needle is fine. And if anyone is crazy enough to try full throttle, which I would'nt, to get a plug reading to check main jet, then it would be fine as well.

Quick Reply: Got a 250r a few weeks ago, and......