Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3TV,
I put a post on the Kawasaki board and several people stated that the Prarie works best if you give it a little gas and don't stay completely off the throttle for engine braking. This is something I did not know.
On the Rincon vs. Prarie engine braking, the Rincon is very similar to coming downhill on the Prarie in high range. Low range on the Prarie worked better but no where near as good as a Rubicon.
The thing that impresses me about Honda products is how refined they all are. Yes, they seem slow to market with a 650 and a new sport machine but when they do introduce it, it is always smooth and quiet and fun. I liked the Prarie engine but I felt it lacked the refinement that a Honda offers.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE
*BETWEEN THE GRIZZLY AND RINCON GRIZZ HAS LOW RINCON DOESNT
*IF YOU WANT SPEED GO WITH GRIZZ
*GRIZZ CAN LOCK FRONT DIFF, RINCO NOT

IF YOU WANT A GREAT TORK MACHINE GO WITH A RUBICON, NOT MUCH ON SPEED BUT PERSONALLY BETTER THAN RINCON

Old 09-22-2002, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Why doesn't someone come out with this... multi cylinder large displacement (600 or better), full independent suspension/ adjustable/ re-buildable shocks, 2 or 4 wheel selectable, full 4 wheel lock (front, rear, or both), hi-low range trans., auto or shift, and... well, I can't think of anything else!

Old 09-23-2002, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dustyrusty...

I have 8 4wheelers... Sportsman 500, 250R, 2 Blasters, a suzuki 80, 2002 Recon (es), 2002 Rancher (es), and now a Rincon. I DID use the low range on the Sportsman... and frankly, was abit worried about a lack of low range on the Rincon... that was BEFORE I bought it. I have towed the other bikes to start them, and I have went slowly up some steep hills... I think that Honda knew what they were doing... there is so much torque there in 1st with its 650cc, that I haven't had a need for "low range". I didn't think I would find a bike that rode smoother than my Polaris.. but I did with this one. I absolutely love the Rincon. It will walk away from the polaris no problem, rides smoother.. has alot easier shifting .. and is so much funner to ride due to being about 100lbs lighter (around my 30 acre place - I found myself jumping on the rancher over the last year, rather than the Polaris, just due to ease of handling it, and light steering. The Rincon is much like the rancher in that respect). The turning radius issue people are talking about, is so much hooey.. I haven't found it to be an issue with either the polaris or the rincon. There are times I would say that the polaris turned sharper in certain cases... but the ease in which you can go from forward to reverse in the RARE case that you may notice the difference.. makes the whole point moot. But rarely will you notice a difference. The Rincon is quieter... And while I really liked my Polaris - it just isn't in the same class as far as I'm concerned (which is a good thing, considering the cost are quite abit different too now!) You won't go wrong, in my opinion, by choosing the Rincon

IF you want - I only live 50 miles south of you... come try it out if you want... let me know.

dahrfry@yahoo.com

Old 09-23-2002, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

oh... and one other comment... Engine Breaking.. I don't think the Rincon engine brakes as hard (i'm not sure that necessarily equates with "good"... but oh well..) as my Polaris does.. BUT on the other hand... it sure seems adequate - and with 100 lbs less going down the hill, I would rather be on the Rincon making that treacherous trek down, (or up for that matter, with separate brakes) the hill...

Old 09-23-2002, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure if this question got answered above or if this type of tranny would downshift this 'radically' at high speed down a hill in automatic mode, but here goes again.....

From DieselPro's comments several posts earlier:

......"The engine braking is same in 2wd or 4wd. The only difference is that if you downshift hard, the rear tires will skid in 2wd and in 4wd, you had better hang on if you downshift hard!".........

Hypothetic situation: ripping down the trail (in 4WD; 'automatic') at a pretty good rate when we suddenly come to a decent downgrade that you approach with more momentum than you probably should. Does this transmission 'sense' this engine braking and automatically 'downshift hard', as you described manually above, while producing the same 'better hang on' results?

Can't thank you guys enough (or name everybody) for helping a 'Polaris guy' understand this new machine a little better. While it certainly can be improved on; it would be hard to argue that it's on the 'top of the heap' at this point in time.

John

Old 09-23-2002, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Darby, You made my day! Thanks for the gracious offer, I will take you up on it! Check your email.

Old 09-24-2002, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

Hate to ask the same question 3 times; but here's a chance to show everyone that I ask 'stupid' questions...............

Could somebody give it a shot?

Thanks,

John

Old 09-24-2002, 08:25 AM
Range Rover

Michimaniac, If your down shifting in esp at a higher speed the engine is going to hit the brakes for you, reminds me of my 300 if I down shift and don't give it a little gas (which I'm sure will work for this bike too). When it auto mode the Rincon down shifts smoothly, I'm not saying you won't feel it but it's not like your locking up the tires.

Old 09-25-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks ostie,

Just couldn't picture the difference between downshifting in 2wd and having to 'hang on', as dieselpro mentioned, in 4wd. Again, that's what I like about my Sportsman. If the steering and engine braking is the same, effortwise, as 2wd; why not keep it in 'AWD' all the time?(except pavement).

Thanks again,

John

Quick Reply: Rincon Owners!