Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I'd like to know about the Rincon is: If you are going up a really long, steep hill where you needed to get up speed at the bottom (so you are in high gear), does it want to go over backwards when the transmission downshifts? Downshifting a manual transmission on the fly up a steep hill can be scary, so I wonder how they compare.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

I'm surprised to hear that you don't think the engine braking is very strong on the P650. In 4 wheel drive (low or high) it is very effective on my machine. Most people that ride the machine comment that they don't need to use the brakes a lot as the engine braking is very powerful (especially sport atv riders that have manual clutches). While it is true that you can hear the belt (combination of the whole transmission) if it is really load like he is indicating there was probably something wrong. Most of the P650s here sound the same...every once in awhile you'll hear one that is really load.

Old 09-27-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Michimaniac,

In case you didn't catch it, in 2wd, the rears will skid easily, but in 4wd, it is much more aggressive, as are the brakes as well.

I guess I am saying that in order to really get full effect, you need gription!

This is the same for all those out there drag racing these machines...

Old 09-29-2002, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Where are all the Rincon owners? I want to know if the transmission is jerky when shifting under load (like when climbing a long, steep hill). I asked this a few days ago but no one responded. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know.

Old 09-30-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

DieselPro,

I think I caught what you were describing while MANUALLY downshifting in both modes.

I guess what I was trying to grasp is the fact that we often stay in 4WD all the time on our Sportsmans for the same reason you (or someone else) explained that there is not much 'steering' difference between the two.

If I'm hauling a$$ in 'auto' 4WD on the Rincon and suddenly am 'on' the brakes going down a steep incline..............doesn't the tranny 'automaticlly' downshift and I'm in the situation you described above as:
...."in 2wd, the rears will skid easily, but in 4wd, it is much more aggressive, as are the brakes as well".............

Even if the tranny doesn't downshift very 'drastically' in auto mode,(at a high rate of speed, on a steep downhill, as ostie claims).........am I in a 'touchy' situation with the brakes, when going 'fast' on a steep downhill, in auto 4WD mode?

Thanks again,

John

Old 09-30-2002, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Michi.... In auto... the shifting is fairly smooth. Unlike the Sportsman.. you WILL be able to tell the changing of the gears, but it's not drastic, nor does it cause a problem. And while the engine braking isn't typically as hard as the Sportsman, I sure wouldn't go back to my Sportsman over the Rincon over that detail.

JSC... I have not had any problem at all over the issue you are bringing up. I find it a hard one to contemplate a whole lot - as I have never seen a hill climbing motorcycle without gears. Used to do it alot, and don't recall flipping my bike during the downshift. (flipped it many time for other things..) And the Rincon doesn't come to a standstill in 2nd, before shifting to 1st, at which time it flips... it's smooth, and your scenario isn't one I'd worry about. On the otherhand... I can easily wheelie my Rincon from a standstill while gunning it... Sure cant do that with alot of bikes.. So I'd say.. just ride with some intelligence... and you will be fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2002, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

Darby,

Thanks a lot for the Rincon info; especially coming from a former (fellow) SP rider.

Looks like my question isn't going to get answered after all. I felt that I've really tried to 'break down' the scenario several times in regards to Dieselpro's claims, but hey, I apprecisate the responses I've got, anyways.

John

Old 09-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. Got mine finally and glad I didn't listen to anyone here about the speed. I got 68mph right out of the box with no miles on it. Any other honda I have ever owned always gains about 5mph once its broken in!

Handling is great machine feels light compared to Polaris, turns with ease and definetly tighter than polaris.

I didn't think it has polaris's ride though. Everyone says how great the suspension is, front likes to bottom out. All the discussion about engine braking? I see nothing wrong with the engine brake on the rincon in fact I think it better then polaris engine brake it doesn't come on as hard its smoother. Give me about 1000 miles and I'll run it against any ugly *** Prarie! They aren't that fast!

Old 09-30-2002, 01:34 PM
ROE
Trailblazer

<< What I'd like to know about the Rincon is: If you are going up a really long, steep hill where you needed to get up speed at the bottom (so you are in high gear), does it want to go over backwards when the transmission downshifts? Downshifting a manual transmission on the fly up a steep hill can be scary, so I wonder how they compare. >>

NO THE SHIFT IS SMOOTH,BUT YOU CAN FEEL IT SHIFT.BUT IN NO WAY DOES IT FEEL LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO FLIP BACKWARDS. I'M ALWAYS ON THE THROTTLE EXCEPT FOR REALLY ROUGH STEEPS.THE ONLY PROBLEM I COULD IMAGINE OF WOULD BE TO TOP OVER A STEEP HILL GOING REALLY FAST IN ESP AND MAKE A MISTAKE AND SHIFT THE THING IN FIRST.I'VE BEEN ON NEARLY ALL THE TRAILS ON H&amp;M AND CLIMB THEM IN SECOND GEAR IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE.

Old 09-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Michimaniac,

I haven't used the auto mode much, and doubt you will, but the auto downshift program doesn't seem very aggressive in terms of engine braking. Again. limited operation..

Brakes work good. People should learn how to use them...

Quick Reply: Rincon Owners!