Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies about the Rincon downshifting on hills. Darby, I know that motorcycles have to be shifted on hills, but you usually let off the throttle momentarily when downshifting. With an automatic, you don't, so that is why I asked.
iwantaricon: I'm glad that you like your new Rincon, but be careful when crapping on the "ugly *** Prarie". The Prairie may not be as good looking as the Rincon, but it is very capable and from what I've heard of the Rincon, my guess is that stock vs stock, you'll probably get a good look at it's "ugly ***" if you decide to race one.

Old 10-05-2002, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

actually the rincon and the prairie are about dead even in speed.

Old 10-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S;
Are you saying the Rincon is about even with the Kawi in top speed or acceleration? Maybe top speed...but acceleration? Start reading some more on this and other forums and you will find that ALL the other big bores are out accelerating the Rincon. I have read that a Rincon will DYNO at 25.8hp at the rear wheels in esp mode. The Kawi is at 31.4hp at the rear wheels. They are nearly the same weight ( 4-6 lbs difference) so to me at least this makes the Kawi power to weight ratio much better. Just read ATV mags test on the Rincon and I quote "It (Rincon) may be king of the comfort wars but it isn't likely to win the power battle".They went on to say they didn't test it against the other big bores but said it's power didn't feel as strong as the competition. They also said " It certainly doesn't have the low-end hit of the Kawasaki Prairie ". I have read only 2 accounts of the Rincon being even with a Prairie in a drag. I have read about maybe a couple dozen or so about P650's , Grizz660's and Pol700's out accelerating the Rincon. I am sure it's an awsome quad...most all big bores are. But from just about all the accounts i've read are saying it's down on the power in comparison. There are certainly a few Rincon owners out there now but most never talk about direct comparisons with the other big bores power. Why not?

ROB

Old 10-05-2002, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kawirob...

Hmmmm.... Not sure what all the hubbub is all about. Lets assume the Rincon can't beat the Kawi in a drag... So what? I mean, if really trying to see how fast you can go from 0-60 is what it's all about, why the heck would someone buy a big bore quad? I know my 250R will get there alot faster than your Kawi.. big deal. I happen to have a Sportsman 500 (that's been piped & jetted), and having one, I can tell you - me at 200lbs on the Rincon will blow away, in both acceleration and top end, my Sportsman 500 with my 120# son on it. A 600lb quad doing 60 mph is plenty fast. And it's plenty fast getting there. That's not to say there's not another big factory quad that can't get there slightly faster - but I know it won't be as quiet, it won't ride as well, and most likely, won't be as reliable as the Honda. Speed and acceleration isn't the primary reason on why I buy a utility quad (it would be why I would buy a duning quad - but the Rincon, and the Kawi, are poor choices for that anyway). Bottom line, you bought a Kawi, and I hope you're happy with it. I bought a Rincon - and I AM happy with it. Live with it.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] have a great day!

Old 10-06-2002, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Just wanted to thank ROE (from Logan W.V.) and DieselPro for taking the time to 'educate' me a little on the Rincon.

One final question that, I believe, will finally put an end to this engine braking question. From a "good 'ol boy"; who lives smack dab in the middle of an area known for the quality and sincerity of its people as well as the 'no mechanical mistakes possible' make-up of its 'extreme' downhill grades............what say 'you', ROE, a man that has ridden the highs and lows of your 'neighborhood', namely, the Hatfield/McCoy Trail system; regarding just 'how' this engine truly 'brakes' in the only situation that 'really' matters? (Low speed, on a rock strewn steep downhill; where, if you suddenly pick up speed, you either ride it out and kill yourself or watch $7,000 '+' tumble on down the mountainside when you bail off).

I'm going with whatever 'ROE' says on this one and suspect that Diesel Pro is correct when he claims that the brakes are 'sufficient' and that you'd better not leave home without knowing how to use them.

John

Old 10-06-2002, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

DARBY:
Hi. I am very happy with the Kawi650. I would not buy anything else on the market. I am not slamming the Rincon. I think it's a very interesting bike. It's looks better than my Kawi and it apparently rides better. It is a completely different machine however...and to compare is maybe unfair. People have said that the Rincon is first and foremost a machine with an emphasis on Sport and little emphasis on Utility. It no doubt has a pillow like ride and is apparently very quiet. To some people this means alot. I personally like the Deep Grumble of my Kawi...and Sport...jump on and blast off!!! I do wish the Kawi's looks reflected what this bike performs like...but instead it looks like any Utility quad. The Rincon looks much sportier than the Kawi...but from my observation ,I don't think it will perform like it. As for drag racing big fat utility quads...now that they have such massive power it's an aspect of quading that was not found on utility quads a couple years ago. I've personally drag raced Raptors, Z400's and a Banshee...I lost yes, but not by much. I am planning on un-corking my V-Twin a bit and plan on scaring some of the racers in a drag (there is possibly more hidden muscle in that V-twin than any quad on the market) That engine is unbelievable let me tell you. I enjoy owning a 4x4 rocket...it makes everything a utility quad can do SO MUCH MORE FUN. I really like alot of quads, and ride with everything. I would love for one of my friends to get a Rincon...more variety is the spice of life. No quad is perfect...not as long as there are so many different tastes to satisfy. We are a priviliged lot not matter what we ride. Have fun and ride safe...Especially on a Kawi P650!!!

ROB

Old 10-06-2002, 06:00 PM
ROE
Trailblazer

WELL THE RINCON'S A GREAT RIDE,AND VERY FAST.BUT IT SURE COULD USE A LOW RANGE. IT'S QUITE A CHORE GOING DOWN ROUGH STEEP HILLS WITH THE RINCON.THIS IS A FACT YOU HAVE NO ENGINE BRAKING AT 0-8 MILES PER HR. AND THIS IS REALLY WHEN YOU NEED IT.

Old 10-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What was all that crap about turning radius?? The Rincon I rode turned a very tight circle. And no Sportsman will do that BS 6.5" radius that they claim. Never would. Maybe on a donut with it spinning out, but not a slow turn with full traction.

I only got to ride the thing around the dealership, but I could tell that it was probably the smoothest operating machine I've ever seen. Transmission is flawless. The lack of low end torque is just this years complaint from folks that don't like Honda. It might be less than another bike, but its not something that you are going to pay a lot of attention to. Kind of like that stupid *** arguement between the two locking differential styles of the Prairie and Grizzly last year.

Everyone is looking for a vantage point to argue that this machine is not as good as what they have. When you start talking about things like the shifter and a half inch difference in intake height, you are really grasping for something to compare.

Old 10-07-2002, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

Hi there! I've been watching this forum with great interest especially because now that the Rincon is finally out, although not in Canada as yet. I currently own two Honda's and are very pleased with them, except for the ride. The Rincon sure sounds great, although the engine braking or lack of, does bother me. You see,I classify myself as a middle-aged trail rider but I do see some very steep terrain and I know what it's like trying to ride these with a two-wheel drive and just brakes. It is no fun. However, I do need a better ride than my 99' 300 4x4. I just don't know why Honda would make a premium machine with virtually no engine braking, especially since I think I'm the type of guy this machine is aimed for? Up here in Canada I've been told the Rincon will sell for something like 11,500 dollars without a winch. This is 1,300 dollars over the price of a Grizzly with a winch and then you have to add tax. In reality, I can by a Dodge Neon for this price. Anyway, how can I justify the price difference over the Grizzly and no engine braking? Come on Honda, what gives? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good quading, no matter what you ride.

Old 10-07-2002, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

I do not own a Rincon but I tested one at the local honda place, and I was wondering where the lack of low end power is. While I was testing the rincon I stopped and looked around making sure a salesman was not looking and then hit the gas while I was on the seat and it popped a wheelie and if I wouldn't have let off the gas it would have been dragging the back rack on the pavement. With my Rubicon at a stop I can hit the gas to take off and it will not rais the front wheels off the ground in high or low while seated but, with one foot on the back rack and a lot of body english I can ride a wheelie in low with my 25's and 27 inch tri and bi claws.

Quick Reply: Rincon Owners!