Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Decisions, decisions man this is hard..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions man this is hard..

I have got so much great input on tire recomendation, Thanks so much, I have narrowed down my choices to:

Bearclaws
Tri-Claw/Bi-Claw
Titan 589

I love the look of the Tri/Bi claws but like the price of the Bearclaws I could afford to buy four of them at once, I will be throwing the lift kit ideal out, so what sizes should I get?

Please if you have used any of the tires above let me know what you think about them, I will be riding in the Mountains 99% of the time doing battle with hills, deep mud, rocks, grass,deep water and that extremly slick "grey" strip mine mud we only have here in KY [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MM

Old 10-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

The Tri claw and the titan are very agressive they are awsome in the deep mud but both beat you to death on the hard ground of the 2 the 589 are the better. We ride some in rice fields and the 589 out pull the tri claws in just about every situation that I put them in they also ride a bit better on the way to the mud hole.

I have not tried the bearclaws, alain I will say try to see if you can ride a quad with the same tire, pure mud tire are heavy and rob power and make steering hard if 90% of your riding is not in mud you would be better off IMO re-thinking.

Old 10-14-2002, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info daimon1054, What tire would you recommend?

Also where is the best place online to get these tires? Best prices and cheapest shipping.

Thanks again

MM

Old 10-14-2002, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Bearclaws have been around for a long time. Owners seem to really praise there performance though. 589s and especially triclaws are more aggressive tires. For mud, I would rate them: triclaws, then 589s, then bearclaws. For hardpack: bearclaws, 589s, then triclaws. What size tire are you getting, and what machine are you putting them on?

Old 10-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks,

01 Honda Rubicon

Will be keeping stock height, but want to go as wide as possible front and back with stock wheels

MM

Old 10-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

92LT not to argue, I have no idea how you tested them. We have a larg mud pit near here and we also ride drained rice fields. I tried the triclaws and the 589's on a Rubicon a kodiack and a big bear. My brother was the managr of a Yam Suz dealer and the owner wanted to know which were best.

In the mud the Vampire's were the king and nothing could come close, the 589's on the larger HP quads would go in deeper than the tri claws every time the tri claws worked about equal on the big bear as the 589's. If I had to go with mud tires I would go with the 589 the are a bunch smoother on hard pack than the others but I would go stock width.

Again for me Spider Track makes a good tire it is a good ride and works almost as well as the others in the mud it is also a little lighter. Those are the only tires that I really tested except for a tire for Polaris as an OE tire years back and they used my choice for many years.

Old 10-19-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

You can go 12" wide on the rear and 9'-9.5" wide on the front on stock rims no problem.

Old 10-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

imho the Mudrunners (I'm biased because I have them) would serve you well for the uses you described. They have a VERY VERY VERY smoothe ride and are awesome in the mud and other terrain. I don't think the bearclaws are aggressive enough. I Highly considered the claws for myself, but I thought they would be too aggressive and I knew the ride wouldn't be as smoothe as the Mudrunners. The Mudrunners also made the steering much easier. There are pics at the link below.

Old 10-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

I like the Bear Claws for all around. If you drive on gravel roads you will not like the other two they do not handle on gravel to well. I have got around 300 to 400 set of Bear Claws sold out there and not one complaint about them. Go to your local shop to get them. Check there price if it is two high bring in a add and ask them to mach it most shops will. Watch the mail order ask them the shipping and handling charge and if it is per tire or for all four? I have seen shipping charges as high as $80.00 on four 27" 589's.

Old 10-20-2002, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Mobile Man, I have a set 25" 589's and a set of 27" Tri and Bi Claws. I baught the Ruby with the 589's and I loved them but they rode very rough with 3psi in the tires, they are a good tire but they are not as smooth as the Claws going down the trails. They are not as good in the mud but that is due to the claws being two inches bigger, and they are not as good as the claws going up steep hills which suprised me. Bear claws are lighter and less agressive tire but they climb the best out of the three and will be the smoothest on trails but will not perform as well in the mud. The Tri Claws look intimidating and like monsters, it you like them get em cause they are worth it. Have all of the tires you listed Bear claws on 300 and 400 honda 4x4's and 589's and Tri and Bi Claws for Rubi.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions man this is hard..