Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

stupid people!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid people!!

some of you may know that i had to order some new axle bearings cuz i stupidly turned the lock nut the wrong way. any way, i talked to my dealor\shop, to find out how the heck im supposed to get the old bearings out of the carrier. heres what they told me:
" A bearing press is usually used to insert/remove bearnings. We
may or
may not be able to remove the damaged bearings."
what the heck? so basically what their telling me is that they will half-heartedly try to get the bearings out, then they will tell me that i need to buy a new carrier, and that i can get a cheaper price buying through them, so they can shaft me out of even more money!
...its been one he!! of a day...

Old 11-21-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

No No No, thats when you start to get creative and tell them to shove it. Try a screw driver, air hammer, and a dremel tool, it will come out eventually, and if you tear it up your in the same boat as if you had given it to the shop except you didnt pay and labor.. My shop is a lil different, they will get it out but they will take a really long time and you pay for the labor.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

I saw "stupid people" and thought...finally a place for me! Those axle bearings are a bit of a bear, without a press and some heat it can become a serious chore...I hate crappy dealers with shade tree mechanics.

BRAAAAP!!!

Old 11-21-2002, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

JakalWarrior got it... Be creative, you'll get them out. Just be careful that you don't beat anything that you need to keep and damage it.

Old 11-21-2002, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

My old rusted solid swing arm took 3 weeks of creativity. We tried tons of tools on it, everything from air hammers and impact wrenches to sledge hammers and pullers. Ended up cutting the joker and getting a new one on ebay. If all else fails buy a new one on ebay, preferably with semi new bearings already in it. Just remember that if you use heat dont get it on anything that is tempered.

Old 11-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

You can probably get them out yourself but I've seen them so bad that some of the bearings have come out and worn grooves in the carrier. Instead of taking stuff like that to a dealer try going to a local automotive machine shop. Alot of auto parts places have a machine shop on site. They press bearings all the time and they don't have the option of selling you new parts so you don't have to worry about them just saying they couldn't get them out so you'll have to buy a new carrier.

Old 11-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

my dad called and left a message at a local garage while i was at school today. youre right, he will probably have a bearing press. and he is a freind of my dads, so he will do it for cheap if not for free

Old 12-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

My baring were stuck and it costed me about 1$ to get my local shop get them out of there!

Old 12-03-2002, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

Well considering you have an aluminum housing and a steel bearing it might not be possible to get the bearings out without damaging the housing. When allumunum and steel get moisture in between them they sort of weld together and when you try and press out the steel bearings it cracks the much softer alluminum. My advice to you is junk the OEM bearing carrier and get an aftermarket one with a grease zerk on it. Then you'll almost never have to replace bearings.

Old 12-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default stupid people!!

i took it to 2 auto shops, and neither would touch it cuz they didnt want to damage the housing. so i took it to my dealor, and talked to one of the guys that i am friends with who works there. he went back into the shop, and in like 10 minutes, he had the old ones out, and the new ones in...i guess it pays to have many friends.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: stupid people!!