Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?

No matter what anybody says I think Hondas are the best ATVS money can buy. I have and 88 TRX300 and it still runs just as good as the day i bought it. It has lost 0 compression and u still have to absolutly use the compression release or you cannot kick it over. I LOVE IT. Buy Hondas all the Way.

Old 12-15-2002, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

What about the 4wheeler mag that rated the Prairie 1,Rincon 2 ,Polaris 700 3 and the grizzly 660 last"where it belongs in my opinion"!

Old 12-15-2002, 07:06 AM
Trailblazer

any griz or Prairie can meet up with me for a ride down the trail..it might not me the fastest...but i promise ..if we go down the trail...i will take a distant 1st place^^

StupiD hurts-honda

Old 12-15-2002, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

The sad thing is, STAKK is right. We all know that Honda produces the most reliable quads out there. But being reliable isn't enough to win shootouts anymore. You have to have the best braking, the best transmission, a motor that produces class leading power along with the best suspension system to win shoot outs. Especially among Japanese makes. Don't get me started on the American makes, they have never gotten an even break.

I hate to say this, but Honda has been playing "catch up" since 1999. That was the year they shocked the world with the 400EX. They had to "catch up" with the Sportsman 500 with the Rubicon, now they are trying to play "catch up" with the Prairie with the Rincon.

This is the difference between being PROACTIVE and being REACTIVE. They reacted to the Sportsman and the Prairie, but were proactive with the 400EX. Being proactive is always better.

Old 12-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Since everyone is giving opinions here, here's mine.
I think the P650, Grizz, and Rincon are marketed for DIFFERENT riders and DIFFERENT uses. So, depending on YOUR use and riding preferences ANY one of them would be best. Of course each has it's strengths and weaknesses. Depending on YOUR use those strenghts and weaknesses may or may not be important.

Here's how I see the big 3:

Grizzly: for mostly work, plenty of play, and some sport
Prairie 650: for mostly play, plenty of work, and plenty of sport
Rincon: good at everything, maybe not the best worker or mudder but enough ability to satisfy the average mudder and light to medium worker.

Here's my bias:

1. I own the p650. It's very sporty for a monster, having owned a 400ex prior. I am considering an IRS quad as a second quad. I have no brand loyalty at all.
2. I have had plenty seat time on the Grizzly over varied terrain.
3. Today I will drive my friend's Rincon and provide a review later today.

As far as magazine shootouts are concerned, they should not pick an overall winner at all. They only do that because it sells magazines. Some people look to the magazines to provide data to assist in buying decisions. While there is some data it's not structured as useful as it could be. They should provide more hard data and more detailed rankings within set categories. While they do this sometimes, the data is not as complete as it should be.

Also, and this one is strictly a guess, although I don't disagree with them picking the prairie 650 as the winner sometimes (since I own it), I would guess that the testers are sport quad lovers/riders, and they just pick the one that handles the best, and is the fastest. I personally think the Grizzly, Prairie, and Rincon are all winners. I think the manufacturer who stands behind their product the best is the REAL winner. Service after the sale is very important. I have seen some posts about unbelievably insulting support by certain manufacturers. I will NEVER buy from them no matter what. Nobody else should either.

Have a Nice Day.

Old 12-15-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thank's Mike Chero, Guy's look, I'm not bashing the Rin, but I don't understand Hon anymore, they put out the 400ex, and just QUIT on the sport market, not even a reverse gear for newer model's, then comes the Rap, Cannondale DS 650 and now the z400, and Honda keep's sitting on their"brand loyalty" Now here is the Rincon, with the ad campain of let's push the automatic tran's for all it's worth and that will overshadow the lack of other feature's, IT ISN'T WORKING ANYMORE, the buying public is to smart for this these day's....They don't have anything innovative except the tranny, and alot of Honda die-hard's are disappointed with that tran's. the IRS isn't new Pol, and Grizz has it so no bragging right's there either, Here's my bottom line......Honda makes their top-of-the-line-model and does this, refuses to get away from stone age drum brakes, refuses to put a true locker in the front, make's the engine braking the weakest in the class and last the least power in the class..... then being almighty Honda, prices this thing 500-$600 more than the Grizz and Pra, AND THEY EXPECT IT TO WIN, My God come on people, see my point.... And for those who defend the power of the Rin. YES someone will get that 1 out of 100 that is a little faster than the rest but on AVERAGE the Rin is not as quick as the Grizz or Pra. I agree with another point on this forum and the Mag's atitude, Honda had better get off it's a**, and start producing the atv's they are capable of, and the atv's that we the buying public demand or they will be left behind, as we now have the choice of bypassing the Honda dealer's and going to Kaw. Yam, Suz,etc. there are those that are so Honda loyal that no matter what the fact's are and no matter what honda put's out, it will alway's be number 1, I am not that naive anymore, as there are more and better choice's at the other dealer's now......WAKE UP HONDA!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2002, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

Between ’96 and the introduction of the 650 Prairie and the 660 Grizzly, Dirt Wheels were "right on the mark" – the Sportsman dominated. An objective evaluation of the machines available during that time would confirm just how far the Japanese were behind.

All three of these machines are responses to the phenomenal success of the Sportsman. DW is now forced to scrutinize the small differences amongst these “Japanese Sportsmans”, and the differences are just not worth arguing about. The selection of either one is a good choice - although the lack of IRS on the Prarie gives the Rincon and the Grizzly the edge for ride comfort. It’s nice to finally have a choice – especially a Honda choice.

Old 12-15-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well, Wilber.... It seems your viewpoint is not a widely held one. Jury says - Rincon came in last, fair and square.

Old 12-15-2002, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 3TV
Originally posted by: RinCon4LiFe
any griz or Prairie can meet up with me for a ride down the trail..it might not me the fastest...but i promise ..if we go down the trail...i will take a distant 1st place
YAWN! Such bravado, and such a display of testosterone. You can bet we're scared now, LOL.

Several people have brought up the fact that the Rincon won the Baja 1000, so the Rincon has got to be "faster and better" than Dirtwheels gave it credit for. But did you folks know that the Baja winning Rincon had the entire 4-wheel drive system gutted out from under it? No front axle shafts, no CV joints, no front differential, and no front driveshaft were on either of the race Rincons. The exhaust systems were entirely custom, and reported to be "wide open, free flowing exhaust". The CDI units were custom items, from Honda Racing, and allowed the race Rincon engines to rev all the way up to 70 mph. And the suspensions were a one-off factory racing set-up with Showa racing shocks. Sounds a bit different from a Rincon you would go down to the Honda dealer and buy. But hey, if RinCon4life is on a Rincon he can beat anyone, anywhere, no matter what machine they're on. I say we put RinCon4life up against Mike Penland on a GNCC course and see who crosses the finish line first.

GriZ or Prairie???stock...owned down the trail..sorry..thats the way it goes..all my buddies have a top heavy griz's..and the prairie just is not practical for any of us..can i have and opinion or not..have you ever riding a rincon..i bet you havent...so u are talking about something you have no idea about..my2

Old 12-15-2002, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

So how are ur cvd's holding up on that 03 griz.the only chance u mighta had is if ur cvd's dont brake on the trail..or if u didnt tip over LOL..have fun with ur griz ..at the dealer (99%) of the time from broken cvd's..i will be out on the trail..owning griz..lates

Quick Reply: Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?