Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?

I thought it was tacky that in Jan Dirt Wheels in the short over view of all the ATVs, they picked out what they didn't like about the Rincon. I could pick out a few things I don't like about every ATV, but this was the only one that they listed just the negatives.

So much for Dirt Wheels Mag. I do believe there are alot better written mags out there.

Old 12-17-2002, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my rinny rides wheeles..id like to see a griz or a prairie do that..lmao

Old 12-17-2002, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Are you referring to the same Honda R&D that built the worlds most expensive 4X4 with
(1) 3 X 4
(2) 3 speeds, no low range
(3) A tranny that needs lots of warm up in cold weather
(4) Drum brakes
(5) Non-adjustable suspension
(6) no engine braking at slow speeds (when its needed most)
(7) Less then impressive performance for a light 650cc
(8) advertise it with a TV comercial claiming its "THE BEST ON EARTH"

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Kind of funny if you ask me.

At least it has that sticker on it that you value over everything else.

HONDA

Old 12-17-2002, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

most of the peeps bashing rincons have never even ridden one. Once you hop on one and roll you never go back to the other inferior crap. ;-)

Old 12-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have ridden one, great machine for someone who just cruises. (I call this their gold wing model)

I thought it was under powered for a 650 but still more power than the rubicon. very high geard, yeas I understand it will turn 28 inch tires, so wont a honda civic, but guess how long the tranny would last. With its intended use it should last the life of the quad, mods like big tires, towing etc are going to shorten its life fast. What happens to a pickup truck that has an auto when you add big tires and tow heavy stuff all the time without changing the gearing? What if you were to do a lot of mudding in your auto truck/jeep in high range? premature failure. When the tq converter is unlocked there is slippage, creating excess heat.

On a belt drive machine when you add big tires, tow heavy loads in high, you get premature belt wear. Much easier to change IMO

Like someone else said, they made this machine for a specific market, I applaud that. Like Kawi's 700, its for a certain rider. Its not going to handle like a 400ex, jump like a 250r etc. But it will be a better trail rig for some because of no chain, wet brake, lots o power and good reverse. So with this all said, the rincon is not for me, the Praire 650 is, My dad who likes to tow stuff and work a machine chose an eiger 5 sp, great fit. My wife chose an eiger too, likes to shift and drive fast etc, our friend well she chose the rincon, likes to trail ride and be comfortable.

Look at motorcycles, sport, cruiser touring etc. you wouldnt expect a ninja to be a good long distance traveler would you? Nor would you expect a gold wing to carve up a super speedway.

Lucky for use we have a choice. But lets not compare apples to oranges.

Old 12-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hell, I just spent 20 minutes reading this crap.

Who cares what you ride. Just shut up and ride.

Old 12-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

My last comment and I'll hush, If Honda is going to make this the most expensive quad in the class, retail is $7599, then it better do EVERYTHING better than the competion and it does'nt, like I said read the last 6-8 post's, and my point comes clear, that there are those that are so"Honda Loyal" that no matter the price, no matter the fact's, no matter the machine, to them Honda will alway's be number 1,to price it the highest and give it the least number of feature's is pretty cocky on Honda's part, but with the "brand loyalty" that Honda has, they will sell them all and not be forced to make better machine's. By the way , my Pra. 650 wheelie's real easy.........

Old 12-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've owned the other POS 4x4 quads that have a lower price and more features than the Rincon,but in the end,the Honda's usually prove to be the most reliable,I can do without a few features in exchange for RELIABILITY!

Its easy to say that the Rincon is the most expensive ATV in its class.Tell me this in 4-5 yrs when your belt drive has left you pennyless with all sorts of problems.BEEN THERE,DONE THAT!

Bill

Old 12-17-2002, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

I can't believe I'm letting myself get drug into this... but its not a belt problem its a polaris problem. I've owned a number of belt driven atvs and never have had a problem...

Old 12-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nope, its a belt problem. True, a Polaris is the most unreliable ATV on the market, and a Honda the most. It really doesnt matter, we all know that for the $$, Honda has produced a good ATV. I have yet to see a bad ATV from them, and whoever said earlier that the Rincon is a sport/utility ATV is right. And how do you know that the tranny would burn up with 28"s? You don't. That tranny may be the most robust auto out there, and you are dissing it because you are loyal to another brand. I know how it is, because I've done it before too. But when I did, atleast the ATV I was bashing was a POS.

Quick Reply: Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?