Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?

The total sales of ATV's goes up every year.
A big part of this is because of inovative quads like the Sportsman. When it first came out nothing compared.
(1) Auto trany
(2) 4X4 with 2X4 option
(3) IRS
(4) powerfull 500cc motor (the biggest and most powerfull at the time by far)
(5) True 4 wheel drive
(6) etc, etc, etc
It changed the ATV industry.
I think a lot of people were hoping the Rincon would do something similar, and it clearly did not.
But thats the beauty of America and free trade.
Honda will come back eventually and raise the bar with class leading machines worth paying the 'HONDA PRICE TAG" for. Then everyone else will build better quads, and so on, and so on.
In the long run we all win with better quads.
Its a great time to be in our sport.

Old 12-16-2002, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

u have fun too bud

Old 12-16-2002, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think some of you are making this a what machine is better post. This started with the credibility of Dirtwheels, a magazine I have loved since I was 12. All I have to say is anyone who actually read the the article had the same opinon, that it was a lets take a shot at Honda, no matter what brand they are loyal to. When a person is considering spending $6-7000.00 on a machine,short of taking each one for a day (something no local dealer will do) I count on these. Me myself I happen to be trying to decide between the Honda and the Grizzly, this did nothing to help in that choice. This bring in doubt anything Dirtwheels tests in my opinon.

Also just a little not for those of you who think Honda was sitting back and being passive, they have been testing the Rincon for over 2 years.

Also look at all the things they have done in the past year.

250 supercross and motorcross champ
AMA super sport champ
SBK super sport champ
formula GP champ
These are just the few I know of.

Old 12-16-2002, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Also look at all the things they have done in the past year

250 supercross and motorcross champ.
AMA super sport champ
SBK super sport champ
formula GP champ
wanabe,

And who do you think paid for all of these victories? Who do you think paid for all of the improvements they make to their MX lineup every year? Who do you think pays for all of their superbike improvements year in and year out? That's right the people who buy ATVs. While they NEVER go from one year to another with BNGs (Bold New Graphics) in their MX and Superbike line ups, they are more than happy to do this to their ATV line.

After seeing what a marvel of engineering and four stroke advancement the CRF 450 is, I must admit to being a little let down to see drum brakes on the Rincon. Sure the transmission and suspension is high tech, but they dropped the ball of the front end (differential and brakes). It should have had a locking differential and a set of twin piston caliper, disc brakes.

Old 12-16-2002, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Brag all you want about the Sportsmans ''innovative features''but also dont forget to menton about how unreliable this quad was?Features dont mean a darn thing if the quad dont hold up.A trip to ANY ATV related forum will show veiwers how many problems this ATV has had in the past.

I own the new Rincon and though I do like the new 700 twin Sportsman,I dislike the extra 150lbs and dont desire the maintenance required on belt driven ATVs.

Its a PLEASURE not needing to worry about belt maintenance anymore.And so far,the torque sensing diff on the Rincon holds its own,and the front drum brakes have NOT leaked yet.

Bill

Old 12-16-2002, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,
I hope you get the good luck out of that 3 speed auto you epect, but if I were you I'd be doing a lot of oil changes.
Your engine oil will get dirty and contaminated, and unfortunately thats also your tranny fluid. Clean tranny fluid is a must for long life from a torque converter auto. Also seams like a 3 speed is a let down. You can't even buy a 3 speed auto car any more, the thought of a 3 speed manual tranny is a joke, but somehow its ok for the Rincon.
I have had zero problems with my Sportman for 3 years now, same belt, battery, same everything, hope you get the same out of your Rincon.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

Wanbe,

“Me myself I happen to be trying to decide between the Honda and the Grizzly, this did nothing to help in that choice.”

According to Dirt Wheels, the decision is clear – the Rincon is not quite up to par with the Grizzly. But it’s the closest Honda has been to the competion in years. The Rincon is a fine machine, and if you have been one of the Honda fans who was forced to ride a competitor’s quad in the past, this is a good opportunity to go back to Honda..

Muddy4life

You missed MegaCrash’s point - innovation. And you are getting the benefit of the other manufacturer’s innovations every time to ride your Rincon.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont worry at all about the 3 speed tranny on the Rincon.Honda has R+D this ATV for 3ys now an it is very unlikely that it would be a failure?Besides,I have a warrenty that covers me for three and a half yrs.

Cars dont use 3 speed trannys anymore because they operate on highways with HIGHER speeds,ATVs operate off road and therefore have very LITTLE need for overdrive.

No question about it,the Rincon CANT be any less reliable than the two POS Polaris ATVs I had!

Bill

Old 12-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Range Rover

I don't think that I would worry about only having three speeds on the Rincon either IF IT HAD A LOW RANGE. Even 5 speed 4wd's from just about everyone else have a low range transfer case. I think the Rincon looks good, probably rides well, but seems to be missing too many features for most of us.

Lorrin

Old 12-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alot of folks,especially those that dont own the new Rincon,do not understand that this ATV is NOT targeted towards only the Utility side of ATVing?The Rincon is a ''sport/utility'' ATV with a 649cc engine.Low range would not be a real advantage for what the the Rincon was intended to be ued for?The 649cc engine can EASILY do what it was intended to do with NO low range.If you want to haul very heavy loads with the Rincon,might I suggest the 450ES Foreman or the Rubicon?

Bill

Quick Reply: Rincon shootout/DIRTWHEELS slipping?