Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which Winch? Which Skid Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2000, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to buy a winch and skid plate for my for [RED]Honda[/RED] 450ES. What ones do you have and how do you rate them. Is the Maier plastic skid plate strong enough to protect the motor cases against rocks? Is it worth the extra money for the [red]Warn[/RED] 2500 over the 2000? What size do I need? How does the [BLUE]Superwinch[/BLUE] compare with the [RED]Warn[/RED]? I use it mainly for trail riding, some rock crawling, and some mudding also. Not an all out extreme person but also not afraid of a few scratches or dirt. Thanks in advance for any and all info. everyone.

Old 04-07-2000, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

I have the 2000 lb. Superwinch, and also the Maier skidplate. I'm happy with both of them. Since you say that you aren't "an extreme" rider, I believe the Superwinch will be more than sufficient for your purposes. A lot easier on the wallet too. I haven't had a chance to try out the Maier plate on rocks yet, but from what I've read from other members, they hold up very well. It's cheap protection, and defintiely better than the stock plate.

Old 04-08-2000, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have a winch yet but plan on one soon check out all the brands warn,superwinch,rule
I like the rule winch the best but I am having a hard time saving that kind of money but I was told sometimes you cna get a rule for the price of a warn2500. The good points about rule (keep in mind I have only read this the only winches I have seen work were warn and superwinch and they both did the job well) it has all metal construction that means the inside gears are also metal,completely waterproof. I herd warn uses plastic on some of there gears but I haven't seen it for myself.
As far as skidplates I went the extra money for Highlifters monster armor it has been great but look at DG they make a nice one. One other thing to check into is A arm stick guards I have Ox-Lite
but check AP they make a nice set I think nicer than my Ox-Lites.
You don't have to be a rock hounder to need underbelly protection sometimes things just happen and its best to be ready than sorry.
Good luck
Glen
96 Honda TRX400FW

Old 04-08-2000, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Warn does not have plastic gears. They have many distributors and service centers around the country if you ever need repair or parts (which you probably won't), but plan for the worst and hope for the best. Might want to see what you do on the Rule if you need parts or service. I don't know anything about what you have to do, but I would check, just in case.

Old 04-09-2000, 05:30 AM
Trailblazer

Hey George, got many places to ride over there?
How's the turkey hunting over towards Hillsboro and Antrim?

Old 04-09-2000, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

2500 warn is the best
but the 200o warn is great too jsut not as powerful

well super... its good jsut i have a long line of warns here so they are great bye

Old 04-09-2000, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

The warn models do not have plastic drive gears, but the freespool mechanism IS plastic. I had to replace one. If you loosen the slack on the cable before you try to freespool you shouldn't have any problems with the mechanism. Warn winches are very reliable as well as strong. The 2500 has a handheld remote where the 2000 remote is fixed. I think the 2000 is adequate in pulling strength, you just have to choose between which type of remote you want. I have heard good things about the plastic skidplate....especially the price. The stock skidplates remain on the machine, so the plastic one will just add to what you already have.

Old 04-10-2000, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

I've got the Warn 2500 on my 450ES and I'm very happy with it. The solenoid for this winch is fairly bulky but I did find a place where it fits where it's out of the way. If you go with this winch I can explain in further detail on installation.

Old 04-10-2000, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 450ES and had the same questions before going with the RULE V33 winch and PRM skidplates and front bash plate.I did a lot of research and found that combination to be the best for me.So far I have not a complaint.Winch has worked out excellent and seems totally bullet proof.Skidplates are the same.Check out the ATV Connection evaluation of the RULE and Superwinch winches in the Product Reviews section under the Accessories header.Each product has their ups/downs.Cost issues and quality.Some people are happy with come-a-longs and stock skidplates.I have used my winch less than a dozen times but the first couple times easily paid for it.The skid plates are something I would never be without.A lot of deep gouges that would have eaten the stock ones and probably done damage to my quad. The plastic seems cool but I wonder about overall durability.Never seen it in action so can't say.PRM is afordable vs Highlifter. The RULE winch I got was probably the same price as the Warn 2500 unless its gone up in price.I got mine from IVY R.Redding Co.They had the best price by about $100 at the time which included the mount and fairlead roller.They supplied the RULE winch for the comparison. Best of luck.

Fishbone.

Old 04-10-2000, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Id go with the Warn over the Superwinch. i know that superwinch has supposedly fixed their switch problem, but i would be leary of its dependability untill further tested. My warn 2000lb winch has pulled my 400 as well as several 450's. and even a truck. ( the truck wasnt bogged, i had to put my front bumper against a tree to hold it, but it pulled it just fine also )
good luck on your decision

Quick Reply: Which Winch? Which Skid Plate?