Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 11:22 AM
K2
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Help

I'm hoping for any suggestions before I have to run off to a dealer but... I went out to plow my driveway this wknd and fired up the Ruby with no problem. I let it warm up as I shoveled a little and then as I got on and backed up to start plowing, the bike died as I was turning the handlebars. By died I mean the engine stopped and the display was completely blank. I turned the bars back and the display came on and I restarted. I again backed up some more and while turning the bars it went out again, only this time I can't get anything back - no display, no lights, no click, not even a sputter from the pull starter. Any ideas??

The battery is about 8 months old and I just ran it 2 days prior with no problems. Checked the fuses and also connected another battery and still nothing. I checked around for for loose wires, but didn't see anything at first glance - is there something I'm missing? Any thoughts would be appreciated... the snow is starting to pile up.

k2

Old 01-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rubicon Help

I'd say you have a pinched, broken or shorted wire in or around the steering column. take off the plastic and have a real good look at all wires. Also check the battery with a multimeter.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:53 AM
K2
Trailblazer
Default Rubicon Help

SOLVED! I searched around more closely and found the problem - luckily before attempting to remove the plastic. While checking the wiring under the handlebars I was pulling a little and twisting them to get a better look. In doing so I felt a little snap and was now worried I disconnected something. Crawling under and searching further down I found a wiring harness was unplugged. Never saw it before so the pulling must have completely disconnected it because everything lit up when I plugged it in.

Anyway, just a heads up to others that this plug is not protected very well and it was also off its metal clip on the frame. The plug did not clip together very tightely and apparently it finally worked its way loose on my last turn of the handlebars. To check yours, while looking at the front of the bike, on the right side look up just inside and to the left of the plastic fender wall. The plug should be clipped to the frame and is exposed to the front. Don't push from the front to make sure the plug is tight because this will push it off the clip on the frame. They provide a hole in the fender wall to reach through and hold the back of the plug while you push from the front. I will have to secure it better, mine is loose enough that it will most likely happen again.

Old 01-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rubicon Help

K2,

I had something happen similar when I was riding my dad's Ruby threw some heavy brush. But his would not go over 22mph and the "D" was flashing on the dash. I looked all over and couldn't find anything. So we took it to the dealer and the called a day later and said it was fixed. When I asked them what the problem was they said a plug came apart. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] We haven't had a problem since (knock on wood). Too many electrical connections without enough protection if you ask me.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:18 PM
K2
Trailblazer
Default Rubicon Help

I have to agree and I was surprised at this particular connection where I had the problem. Heavy brush would seem to be a good source of trouble seeing that the plug can be unclipped from the frame and/or possibly unplugged by pushing from the front. Without much protection in front of it, I would think its a matter of time before a branch or something catches it just right and pushes it out. I will be under there with some zip ties soon.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rubicon Help

K2,
Make sure you don't secure them too tight. I would much rather the plug come apart then to have the wires rip out. I believe you want to protect it more then secure it or you will have to run down to your local electronics shop and buy a plug and a special little connection plunger to fix it. Just my 2 pennies worth anyway.