Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I need to replace my front shocks. What are some good aftermarket brands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to replace my front shocks. What are some good aftermarket brands?

Hi all.

I could use some help in the shock department. The front shocks on my 96 300EX need replaced and I have read that the stock Honda ones kinda suck. Can anyone give me any reccomendations for a good quality aftremarket replacement that are not too expensive. I don't do any jumping or racing, just trail riding. Lots of whoops and rocky trails basically.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default I need to replace my front shocks. What are some good aftermarket brands?

If all you want is a nice plush ride, then Works Performance "Steelers" suspension is all you need. Don't even worry about getting the reservoirs either. You can find these brand new on ebay a lot of times and they are very inexpensive. However, if you plan on jumping or riding hard on the trails, then you should really go with a quality shock. I would recommend Elka suspension because they offer their shocks at an entry level without reservoirs for those who don't have the $$ to spend on a full race set up. The good part is that the entry level shocks can be turned into the high end shocks because of their valving inside.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Works Steelers on both the 400's. The ride is great! They have some basic models that aren't to pricey. If you go full bore, you can end up with shocks that are worth more than the rest of your bike!!

Old 01-15-2003, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

You can get a new set of Works Triple rate Steelers for around $300. They will valve them for your specific weight and riding style. I had a set on my 400, and the difference from stock was amazing. I recently stepped up to Elkas, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have the works steelers on my X and I race MX with them. I also got the rear quadstar shock. It was $800 all the way around and they were the single most best mod I have done.