Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

The rachers 4x4 system

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2000, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why does everyone say that the rancher is only a 4x3. explain in technical terms or laymans term does not matter.

Thanks

------------------
The only 4 wheeler I got is my nephews..P P P Power Wheels

Old 01-02-2000, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

The front differential on limited slip 4x4 machines is said to have 3wd because it doesn't always pull with 4 wheels. If you notice on a 2wd machine, when you turn, the inside back tire will tear up the grass, gravel, whatever it's on, because the outside tire has to turn more than the inside tire. The front tires have to do the same on the 4x4's. For this, the limited slip differential doesn't keep them locked together like the back wheels. On a turn, the inside turns less than the outside, so the differential makes it so the 2 front wheels are not hooked solid, letting them "slip". If you get one front tire off the ground and the other on the ground, an ordinary limited slip will give all the power to the front tire that's in the air, and nothing to the one on the ground, where it's needed. On the new Ranchers and upcoming Rubicon, Honda went to England to find a new way at making a front limited slip differential. They use cams instead of clutch plates. This differential is supposed to give the power to the wheel with the most traction, where it's needed.

Old 01-02-2000, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you very much rooster for your input.
Once I get my rancher I'll tell you what I think. all of you guys have been a lot of help and I do appreciate it. I hope to contribute one day once I learn a little more.

Thank you

------------------
The only 4 wheeler I got is my nephews..P P P Power Wheels

Old 01-03-2000, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer

Did any rancher owner had any experience with one front wheel in the air ? I would like to know which one got the power, I know that honda says that it will put the power to the one with traction but I`ve heard the same thing about some other quad and it wasn`t true.

Old 01-03-2000, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

I have tested the 4x4 system of my Rancher and am wondering why Polaris people still call it a 3x4.It was pretty obvious that they do not know what they are talking about after i left four deep ruts in the ground when i tied it to a tree and all four wheels where spinning at the same time.I then balanced it on a large log and tilted it forward and it left two deep ruts before pulling me off the log.I then put the quad on the log off camber with one wheel in the air and the wheel on the ground pulled me off the log after digging a trench but the wheel in the air did not spin because it had no traction.What more proof do you need.The Rancher is very easy to steer and turns pretty sharp for a 4x4.Plus it has Honda reliability.

Old 01-03-2000, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

on my rancher I had one wheel off the ground in mud so when I gave it gas the wheel in the air spun, but also the wheel on the ground spun. I guess you could call it 4x4

Old 01-03-2000, 09:56 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

we should have one of those dudes callin it a 3wd jack a rancher up, rev it up in 2nd grear and have them grab the right frount tire...if it is a true 3wd system it should simply stop. it would be funney to watch them get body slamed when that AP diff catches Now if only i could get that diff lock button to work on my new 00' trd tocoma
Joe

Old 01-03-2000, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

JRM, Tacoma? Why didn't you get the Tundra? Yeah, that would be funny to see them going around with the tire hitting their head on the ground every time they come around. Now if we could get someone to take a picture besides.

Old 01-03-2000, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

Sure glad to hear about this one guys, I tried my Rancher with one wheel on ice and the other on dry dirt several times and every time the one on the dry dirt spun. So I guess like the guys said on the first Rancher test Honda must be onto something here. :>)

Old 01-04-2000, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

Hey,i just bought a new Tundra 4x4 and love it,what an engine.It just won 4x4 of the year in Petersons 4WD shootout.

Quick Reply: The rachers 4x4 system