Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Frozen Rancher? What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003 | 12:56 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Frozen Rancher? What am I doing wrong?

I am wondering what I may be missing in maintenance (I pretty much don't do any at all) that is causing my Rancher to freeze......

It is pretty cold here, 12 degrees F is the high during the day. It isn't too bad to start up the Rancher since it is garage kept, but after a trip to get somewhere to ride, or after sitting outside for a while, the choke, reverse, and brakes freeze up. I can still start it without the choke because of the primer button, but it is annoying, especially the reverse and brakes. Any advice would be helpful, and please know you are dealing with a rider only, not a mechanic at all (gotta dumb it down for me!). I know it is not just that it is cold, the p650 doesn't do this, and the Rancher didn't do this last year really.

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-28-2003 | 10:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Sounds like perhaps a problem with your cables??? Just a little clarification: When you said the brakes freeze up, do you mean the LEVERS, or the brakes themselves?? And with the reverse, is it the reverse button up on your handlebars or the shift lever itself?? Sounds like you have moisture in your cable housings that is freezing up.

Action 450's idea seems like a good one!! Also, are you aware that your Rancher has a carburator heater?? Before cold starts, leave the key turned on for a couple of minutes before you start the engine. This will give the heater time to do its job.

Old 01-28-2003 | 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Find a product at your local car parts store called rust check (red cover). It is a rust inhibiting penetrating fluid that will displace water as it creeps. Spray a bit on your reverse button, and in all cables that you can. This will drive out all moisture and leave a lubricating oil behind.

Old 01-28-2003 | 02:52 PM
|
Pro Rider

Wow, thanks! I will do that! I have no doubt that there is water in the cables...the Rancher has been swimming quite a few times. Never went all the way under, the air intake was always above water, but that's about it. To clarify, it is just the lever on the back handlebar brake, the front BRAKE actually freezes not completely, but it makes a sound like it is locking up....I can't clarify that too well. The front brakes lock up sometimes when I pull the lever--even when it is not cold. This started happening after one of the red plugs on the front wheel came out in deep mud and the brakes got water in there. The dealership did something, but they have never been the same since. It will act up and it seems like the front brakes are on a switch, they will be completely on, or completely off, there is no inbetween. The reverse button doesn't freeze, it will go down and I can pull the lever in, but it will not shift down. The reverse has gone out on it in warm weather before because it was bent one time. But it has worked since and I have only been having a problem in the cold. I was riding around on a frozen lake all weekend and had to keep it outside overnight. The reverse worked sometimes, but 80% of the time it did not. I noticed when it did work was after I had been riding hard, versus just sitting there idling.

I don't know if I clarified anything or not, but if that gives you any more insight, please share what you are thinking. This was my husbands machine before we traded my p360 for the p650 and then he took the 650 for himself. I love the Rancher, but he beat it up quite a bit. It takes beating after beating, but I believe these problems are certainly caused by some of the river crossings and the reverse was bent from running over things, like trees. So anything you can tell me to help it get back to working properly is greatly appreciated.

I did not know it had a carburator heater, thanks for that info! And I will buy some Rust Check immediately. Thanks a lot!

Old 01-28-2003 | 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

ATVGurl,

I too had the same exact problem with my choke on my 2001 rancher. I live in NH and as soon as the temperature fell below 15, the choke would freeze. However, for me it was not the lever, nor was it the cable. What happened to me is the collar on the carb where the choke cable goes into the carb let moister in. Because of this, a small amount of water entered in and around the collar freezing the entire choke system from within the carb. If your rancher is still under warranty bring it back to your dealer, as this is a fairly common occurrence with the rancher. If you want to fix it yourself you might not only have to do what "action450" said but you might have to also lube the collar in the carb where the choke cable goes into the carb, simply remove the cap that covers the choke cable where it enters your carb and apply lube. Finally, once it becomes loose work the choke back and forth to make sure the lube covers all surfaces inside the cable and in the choke collar on the carb. Good Luck!!

Old 01-29-2003 | 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

If you have any mechanical skills at all, you should remove both front drums and clean the brakes thoroughly. Brake Clean - in an aerosol can (from car parts stores) works really well. Then check to see that the red plug is in place, rubber vent hose on backing plate is there and not torn in any way and grease seals around outside of back plate where drum sits. Inspect mine a couple times a year just in case and have never had any problems. If your not familiar with this, pick up a factory or aftermarket service manual for your bike, and you can save youfself alot of $$$ on service fees.

Old 01-29-2003 | 11:39 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks! I can be mechanical but I don't know how to do that. I could handle it just fine with instructions from a book. If all else fails I can just MAKE my husband find time to do it, right? Or at least help me! Thanks for the tips!