Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I might need some help soon...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2000, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a cheapster, here is my advice. Tell Jeff that you really appreciate his advice and would like to do business with him but he will have to be willing to drop his price to a mere $50 over the other vendors to keep you. Remember, you are not fighting, you are negotiating! Most businesses would rather make a sale and a satisfied customer than than $50 dollars. Unless they're just plain jerks. Then screw em and order somewhere else.

Old 01-05-2000, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

Oh yah, the advice and close proximity of the vendor will be well worth the extra $50 you'll have to scrounge up.

Old 01-05-2000, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I like to buy things at the best price, also. The person who sold me almost all of my equipment does not have the best price. But, he services everything and does it when I need it. I paid more, but I got more. Others who bought equipment from far out of state get a recording and now have to pay a premium for service. It is costing them more in the long-run.
Usually, you do get what you pay for. If you realy want what Jeff has and need to wait so save some money, then tell him about your situation. You can ask him for some kind of discount or tell him you need to save a little so you can do business with him, I bet he would be more understanding that you think he will. I know how he feels, I have poeple ask me for free advice and when I turn around and ask them for the same, they have selective memory (not always).
Also, he could have been at the end of a bad day--Boner could have been asking him about 28" Vampires for the previous 8 hours , just kidding BoneCAT.

Old 01-05-2000, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with Matt here. Why should he have to pay the extra $100?

Jeff's company uses RM-ATV to distribute their products and couldn't receive the type of channel volume themselves. So they sign a distributorship with a major vendor such as Rocky Mountain ATV which does major advertizing and sells their products. High-Lifter gets more revenue by having RMATV distribute their products.

If Jeff is concerned that another distributor is selling their products at $100 cheaper than the manufacturer, they should take it up with RMATV, not get mad at Matt.

I don't think that Matt was trying to screw Jeff, but to save a $100, why not?

It is like the argument that when you go to a dealer for a new machine, you shouldn't try to cross shop them at another dealer. Why not? Competition keeps retailers in check, and hopefully your dealer is willing to match another's price. If they don't, why give them your hard earned money (That you earned, paid taxes on, scraped and saved.)? Not me. I hate the games. The easiest way to get the best price is to phone around. The person selling it at the cheapest price is usually the person who gets my money.

Now, if Jeff wants to match RMATV for a price, then I think Matt has an easy decision.

But I think Matt has every right to buy from Rocky Mountain ATV and I think Jeff should stop being a suck, and stick to being a great manufacturer and support his products.

Go Matt!

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 01-05-2000, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Matt,

I installed the kit on my 300. I did not buy the kit from Highlifter, I pieced it together to save the money. Most of the instructions needed came with the pipe and the jet-kit. I know you use all the discs in the pipe and I would run the biggest jet that the jet-kit comes with. I still had to go one main jet size larger than what the jet-kit came with. I don't remember what size it was, but it was the next size larger-cost about $3. The jet-kit tells you which setting on the needle to place the clip on and that is what I have used. I stuck with the stock recommended spark plug. After you install everything, get a new spark plug and run it for a little while and then check your plug to make sure it is not white - it should be kind of black. If it is white, you'll want to go up a jet size.

I'm sure those of us in the forum can help you get it right if you need help. Feel free to email me. I've called Highlifter before and just told them I needed help for a product I bought from them (even though I didn't buy the whole kit from them) and they have always helped me out.

The kit really isn't all the difficult to get set up right. I think I had it perfect after a day of tinkering with it. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by YamaHonda (edited 01-13-2000).]

Old 01-05-2000, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YamaHonda, are you advising Matt to lie to Jeff at High-Lifter to obtain technical advice under fraudulent circumstances, as you claim you have done?

If so, have you ever considered running for political office, such as President of the United States?

Tree Farmer

Old 01-05-2000, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Mattsibley,
If you give the sale to "Rocky mountain", Then you must also depend on rocky mountain for service and support.
I do not feel that Jeff is under any obligation to answer your questions if he doesn't make the "sale".
Remember everybody has to make a living somehow.And if Jeff licensed his equipment to Rocky mountain to sell. Then with that license comes the responsability of service from Rocky mountain.

PS BONER you better not be surfing the fourms during class time!

Old 01-05-2000, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Matt,

You are getting fed a line of bull. Call me old fashion, but I feel that if you are in a people oriented business, you should try and help people.

For example, one of the local doctors in town had a patient come to him for eye problems. The patient had seen another doctor a few days prior with no results. The local doctor treated the patients eye and didn't charge the patient. Why? Because he said that the patient had already paid to be healed and he was just doing what had already been paid for. This is the type of people we need in this world.

I work at an auto parts store, and our prices are usually higher than most other places. But when people come in with parts from a competitive store and ask about installation instructions I don't shun them away. It's my responsibility to try and help them. If I were in their shoes, I'd probably go the cheaper route also.

Anyway, I have the instructions for the Supertrapp, and Dyno-Jet kit. If you need a copy let me know and I'll fax them to you. Don't feel bad. Everyone can be a jerk sometimes.

------------------
Shane

'97 Honda 300 4X - Vamped, Locked, & Lifted

Old 01-05-2000, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I was doing that at lunch.

Old 01-05-2000, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

WOW!!!! I'm overwhelmed from the responses. I was typing earlier from school on our lunch break. I just got in from basketball practice about an hour ago. Well, I really didnt mean for Jeff not to get paid, and he still may get it, I think I'll e-mail him and try to negotiate the price. If I can get him down to about 315, then I'll buy from him. Oh by the way, RMATV doesnt get the kits from highlifter, they do like highlifter and buy from K&N and Supertrapp and the manufacturers of these parts (I think). I'm glad to know that there are sooo many nice guys here in the forums that will be here if I need some help. I understand how jeff would most likely feel, but does he put his self in my spot??? I'll e-mail him tonite, and try to check my mail from school tomorrow. I'll then post here and let you guys know how it went. Thanks again for the overwhelming amount of responses!!!

------------------
Matt Sibley

1999 Honda 300 4x4 Vampires, Lift Kit, 2500lb WARN winch

Quick Reply: I might need some help soon...