Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX do i need after market skid plates

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2000, 03:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just want to know should i buy one that protect the under side better the stock one dont seem to do much.....if so what brand should i buy

Old 04-15-2000, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

i own a y2k 4000ex too and am seriously considering buying a aftermarket swing arm skid plate. the stock one sucks!! its like a tin can, i already took it off once to pound it back so the disc wouldn't rub on it. i am thinking about the AC racing unit, i have one on my blaster and its tough as nails, its got the marks to prove it, but will not bend.
adam y2k 400ex WB e-seires, k&n jet kit, CEET cover
92 blaster, lots-o-mods!

Old 04-15-2000, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, to reply to the title of your post..only if you place any value on your rotor or sprocket/chain...LOL.
It really depends on the type of soil you ride on. If it's all loamy, sandy, and with never a rock or other hard inflexible object to deal with, then you probably don't need one. I've never seen that terrain in Az so I have destroyed quite a number of skids on My Warrior. I'll list the ones I can recall using from worst to best:
stock-- Made from Coors can
AC- required constant adjustment from hits
DG- same as above
OMF-good plate, holes didn't elongate from hits & only needed adjusting after serious hits
Armadillo- from Rocky Mtn- My current one and so far, no damage or re-adjustment needed after some major hits. /This one is made from 1/4" stock & thicker than most others.
The thing you need to be wary of are those with elongated mounting holes. Some makers use them to avoid precision in manufacturing. They will not hold their position with the slightest hit, forcing it up into your brake rotor

Old 04-16-2000, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Actually after having my new 400ex for a couple days I had the same question so far there is great info provided hopefully others can give some more testamonials on the subject the guy from arizona gave excellent info thanks. It is nice to see a yamahauler give tips to the red riders !! Anybody tried the Baja Skids they look pretty decent? I also tried to order the oil vacumm but I has to leave a message.

Old 04-16-2000, 12:14 AM
Air
Pro Rider

Yes get a Armidillo from Rocky Mountain ATV They are the thickest.

Old 04-16-2000, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

I too live in Arizona and just ordered a skid plate for my 400EX swingarm, can't remember which brand it was. Bought it wholesale, we're an accessory /performance ATV shop in Prescott. Ordered it for $50.00 wholesale, it was a name brand "PRM" maybe?

Old 04-16-2000, 02:55 AM
Range Rover

thanks for the good info.I think i will go with the best one u listed...better to be safe then have my whole bottom of my 400EX riped off

Old 04-16-2000, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

you should get a skidplate to put under the motor to go to the front to about where the steering stem is.it will cover the oil tank and oil line and the motor.all they have now is a little plastic one over the back of the motor. i made a stanless steel full undercarrage skid for my 400

Old 04-16-2000, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes PRM is the correct name & one I neglected to mention on the list of skids I have used. It was a decent skid also. The Pela is the oil vacuum I use, but I see in my J.C. Whitney catalog that they carry another brand in case Pela can't be contacted.
BTW, Lucis, if you have to deal with logs or anything that obstructs the other parts of the underside you may want to look at getting a glide plate, such as AC, DG, or GRaydon. I run an AC which is ok but the oil drain hole didn't match up with the crankcase drain. I solved that with the vacuum and it is actually easier anyway.

Old 04-16-2000, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

here is my 2cents.....
before my 400ex even came in I ordered a dg swingarm and glide plate. by far it is the best mod I have done to my quad. I live in NJ and ride in NY,NJ,and PA. and the terrain varies. but the one constant item I find is rocks. it is very reasurring when I'm riding fast trails or going on some wicked hillclimbs, that I do not have to worry much about my undercarraige. I had no mounting problems, it is a perfect fit. the AC model sucks. it does not mount directly to where it is suppose to go. the company called this "normal." my friend ordered a set and the holes were 3/4 of an inch off. also AC is now known as extreme fabercation.
my brother has prm skids on his 250x and the fit was okay.(needed a little bit of filing.
good luck with whatever you buy.
ron

[red]Edited by atvbbs for obscenity. Since this forum is a family site, vulgarity or obscenity cannot be tolerated. We welcome your comments but keep it clean, please.[red]

Quick Reply: 400EX do i need after market skid plates