Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

might be buying 88 250R for around 3000-3600......any pointers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default might be buying 88 250R for around 3000-3600......any pointers

hey, i might be trading up to a 1988 250R that's going for around 3600 (or b/o)....i haven't called the guy who owns it up yet, but chances are that we will be looking at it and we might buy it. if all goes well and we decide to check it out, what problems or potential issues should i look for on it? i'm not all that familiar with R's so i need some pointers.

any advice at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

Old 03-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Look and see how much stuff on the quad is aftermarket and if that is an issue or not to you. Alot of people like to buy the R's in stock form although those are pretty rare anymore. Check bushings in the a-arms, see if they are tight, same with wheel bearings. Lift front of quad up and have someone spin the front tires. Have the owner start up the quad and drive it away from you, watch for rear wheels wobbling, sign of bent axle. Ask alot of questions about the motor, what bore size is it on, what porting if any, how long ago if ever has the bottom end been worked on, if it was, when and what was done. What is the condition of the bearings in the bearing carrier, when were they last replaced.

Educate yourself on what items cost for the R, for instance, if it needs new plastic, if you go with OEM, it's very expensive. So if the plastic is in bad shape, you'll be looking at $600 or so just to replace it, Fullbore makes nice plastic but it's not much less at $500. Best place to buy Honda parts is www.servicehonda.com, they have parts illustrations with prices that are around 30% off dealers prices. R's are the best quad ever built, good luck!!

Old 03-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

ide check the frame 4 ne cracks ask if its been raced dont really matter if it looks like a pile, it will run great its a HONDA
ride red 4 ever!!!

get a paul tuner exhaust it is pretty good
dont get fmf it makes it feel like it gets less horse power!

Old 03-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Like Brian said....Check the frame for cracks....Also, does the clutch release when the lever is pulled in(if not, you might need a clutch basket $200). Check the swingarm for cracks. Check compression. Ask the seller what kind of oil he burns. NO KIDDING...I bought a 250R once that the previous owner gave me "Homelite" oil with it. If you get homelite oil, plan on doing a rebuild.

Old 03-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Check for area of the engine case around the front sprocket. 250r's will bust the case or break the shifter housing if they throw a chain. If it is ok and you do buy it (the 250r), do yourself a favor and buy a case saver as soon as possible.

Check for cracks by the swingarm, footpegs and the upper steerer support.

Pull of the air filter and look for dirt or sand in rubber connector between the airbox and the carb. If it is dirty in there chances are you are going to have to rebuild it soon.

Also, make sure you see it idle on it's own, while you are doing this look for dripping fuel, reason, most stock carbs on R's by now have worn the valve seal. This will cause the bike to idle rich due to overflowing of the carb. It will be evident by a gas drip from the carb and the bikes refusal to idle without constant gassing. Note: the valve seat on this particular carb could not be replaced so if it is bad you will need a new carb.

Good luck, they are great bikes, I wouldn't own anything else.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Also check the motor mount's for cracks and the upper shock mounts. i think the best thing to do is take it for a ride that will tell you a lot. also if there are no leaks and not to many cracks in the frame you can always gusset the frame I had mine done for free.
but it's an R that would be enough for me
Rusty
R&K

Old 03-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

thanks everyone. i'm calling the guy after 5:00 so i'll have a better shot of speaking directly to him. if it needs repairs or work or whatever, i'll buy the parts i need and do the work. i have no plans on modifying this quad.and for the time being, i have no plans to race it either. also, if it's on the ragged edge in terms of mods (i.e. it has a 310,330, or 350 kit in it or something) i'm not buying it. i dont have the time, nor the money, to maintain something crazy like that.besides, i'd rather ride then wrench. so basically, in my eyes, the closer to stock form it is, the better.

if all goes well and we decide to check it out, i do plan on getting a ride on it. i'm sure that would help alot in terms of figuring what needs working on.

ridered4eva, as much as i'd love to own a 250R (they're kinda rare in these parts, so to have an oppurtunity to buy one is like a once-in-a-lifetime deal), if it's a pile of ****, then i wont be buying it. i dont mind if it needs some work, but for this much money, i'm not buying a POS that will fall apart a month from now.while i'd love to have that screaming 2-stroker sitting beneath my backside when i go riding, i think i can live without one. i dont race right now and most of my friends have mildly modded 400ex's or something in that category, so i dont need to buy something that has an insane amount of hp. i just need something that's comfortable, will keep up with my friends' quads, is fun to ride, and is relatively reliable.....and, depending on what kinda shape this thing is in, just might be the right machine for me.

i'll just have to wait and see.

once again, thank you all for the advice.