Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

foreman ES vs. kodiak 450

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foreman ES vs. kodiak 450

I finally convinced my old lady that I need a wheeler, I've got it down to a Foreman ES or the Kodiak 450 What do you guys suggest I get?? All rerplies are welcomed since I'm barely getting to know what all the terms mean. Thanks

Old 03-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a foreman es and they are GREAT. They are pure muscule mchine , i mean they really are. I workhorse no dought about it. Trail riding on it is pretty good too. The kodiak is not my kinda machine , i just think it is cheap built , and i am not to much of a fan of yamaha period.

Old 03-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

If you want better performance and equal or better reliability, go with the Kodiak. Boremans are slugs, but pretty reliable.

Old 03-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

I HAD THE SAME QUESTION, AND AFTER TAKING A RIDE ON THE 450 HONDA I THOUGHT IT WAS THE ATV FOR ME. BUT I HAD TO GIVE THE 400 (2001) A TRY... GUESS WHAT , I TOOK THE 400 KODIAK. SINCE THAN I HAD THE CHANCE TO TRY THE 450 KODIAK , NICE BIKE! HONDA FOURMAN 450 IS A GOOD ATV, BUT ITS NOT A KODIAK. BY THE WAY I ALSO OWN A HONDA AND I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT IT. I AM HOWEVER TRADING IT IN FOR A GRIZZLY. NOTHING AGAINEST HONDA, I JUST LIKE YAMAHA MORE. TEST RIDE, SEE FOR YOURSELF. EITHER WAY YOU GO, YOU CAN'T LOSE.HAPPY TRAILS.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

Do you want a rubberband (kodiak) or crappy brakes (450 ES). Both should be reliable, the kod will be more sporty and the 450 will last, should last longer.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

I have a forman 450s and for the riding/work I do I find it great. I test rode a Kodiak 450 recently, and it is a great bike, faster, but I like the feel and handling of my Forman better. I don't like belt drives, but the Kodiak has the best setup on the market. Drum brakes are fine. With a gearbox I rarely need to use brakes, and they are still squeek free and water tight. I find the forman great on technical trails, slow, rocky and muddy, with its low center of gravity, makes for a great ride.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

My friends 02 rancher has a squeaky back drum brake but at least it works for now, mine hasn't worked in a while. When you do not have gears and the bike is ridden very hard in the mud the brakes get really weak. I do have brakes on the front if I have time to pump them.

Old 03-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

I have owned a 86 Big Red, 97 Big Bear, 02 Kodiak and now own a 03 450 Kodiak. I can only agree with the above statements on the kodiak in ways about the brake pads do wear out in the mud and wet sandy areas of riding.

Reason for me buying the 450 is that it has the locker and upgraded instrument speedo ( same as the Grizz)and price range.

To me the Rear independent suspension only gives your rear a soft ride. And if you all think about it, the front suspension in all bikes is harsh! because that is where your body in the arms, shoulders, neck and back get sore first.

Of course all us have different rides and for many diff reasons and if the independent suspension is what you want go for th best buy and deal.

If I had the extra money I would go for the new RINCON[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mac

Old 03-10-2003, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

I went in some big mud holes and out in deep water also today on the rubi. I was on the trail running about 25mph (a little fast) and I came around a corner and seen a big tree across (14-16 inches around) the road. I hit the brakes and it would not slow down at all. I did have enough time for it to coast down to about 20mph. When I got close to it I hit the gas and pulled back the thing ramped with the nose down, the back was way up in the air and I could barely keep control of it. I was about to bail off but I managed to keep it on the road. Drums suck for the mud and water, the story above is just one example of how someone could have gotten hurt easily with drums. If I had the disc brakes already I wouldn't have had this problem, they may wear out quicker but no cleanings and adjustments need to be made until the are wore out and they will stop you after you have been in the mud all day.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a Foreman S back in December. I have no regrets about it. It has power, power and more power. I also like the 4wd, 2wd switch. I rode at night this past weekend. You wouldn't belive how much light the Foreman puts out. It's really incredible. Get the Foreman. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: foreman ES vs. kodiak 450