Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

port and polish

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default port and polish

i am wanting to port and polish my head when ever i put my new top end in...i was wondering if this was somthing that i could do my self or that needs to be hired done??

Old 03-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default port and polish

porting and polishing is not something you just "decide" you want to try. Some one needs to teach you. How much expirence do you have? Have you ever operated a flow bench? What kind of tools do you have? Die grinder? What kind of bits?

If you do a junk job, which you'll never know till you bolt it on, you could end up losing power. If you do a good job, you might pick some up, but whos to say a guy whos done a few hundred heads wouldn't get those last few ponys out?

careful.....

Old 03-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default port and polish

something thats a little easier to do is port matching. You're not gonna really cut into the head as much, and there are some gains to be had. The thing is that modern engines are much more closely matched than the ones we used to do 20 years ago.

polishing can actually reduce boundry layers or what guys in the industry call laminent air flow. If you look at a set of top fuel dragster heads, they actually leave the tooling marks in the heads to create that boundry area. Again, be careful.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default port and polish

Are you talking about your R that you want to work on?
If you are, you don't port/polish R heads, just cylinders.

Old 03-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default port and polish

thats what im talking about is the cylinder

Old 03-24-2003, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default port and polish

I have a friend that studied the info at MacDizzy's site, then went to the garage and ported his cylinder with a dremel. What he came up with was a fast, reliable, smooth power band stock cylindered engine. I rode it and was really impressed. You have to understand that it was also piped, air filter modded and larger carb.
Now, you can send your cylinder off to an engine builder and tell them what kind of riding you do and they can port it "their" way for low-end, mid-range, or top-end.
Don't cancel out using the "local" guy either. I know a guy in Anaheim that will do the same work as a "famous" guy for a lot less dinero.