Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Passengers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carrying passengers is not as big a deal as some make it out to be. use common sense. its that easy. and oh yeah have fun too!!

Old 04-26-2000, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I contacted the O.P.P. (Ontario Provincial Police) in our area to inquire about the rules and regulations pertaining to ATVs in Ontario. The Officer I spoke with informed me that the Province of Ontario has no laws on the books preventing passengers on a quad and that the following rules and regulations apply.
-The driver requires a drivers license, insurance, vehicle registration, and both passengers require helmets.
Your Local Municipalities may have Bylaws that suppliment the Ontario Highway Traffic Act in regards to ATVs.

Jeff

Old 04-26-2000, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

i used to ride double all the time and still do when another qaud breaks or runs out of gas out on the trail I am normally pretty wild riding wheelies with my 300ex top out in 5 wide open jumping big ledges etc,etc,etc. But I still have common sense and that tells me to know the limits of my qaud and me. I have learned sometimes painfully and scared others. my freind had his buddy on the back of his bayou 300 2wd and jumped broke his buddy's arm.I have been riding since I was a little guy I am 14 now and I think aslong as you are careful I say have fun and enjoy your new qauds!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2000, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I personaly think this is bs on 2 fronts
1.insurance,liability,lawyers and lawsuets
2.marketing..to the media and public.
After the beating the big 4 took in late 70's early 80's with sierra club...noise,dust and ,erosion,litter...sales declined .
Add disasters on nightly news showing un-skilled,non-trained,no helmets,RIDING DRUNK..people, crashing and burning...you could see our sport was in trouble.
By adding a 4th wheel,warning stickers,saftey,and training programs and eliminating alcohol,the general public and media have soffened their positions...and SALES have SKYROCKETED!!
However...common sense would tell you.. you could pack a passenger ...the bikes CAN take it.Rider skill and judgement come in to play... and the manufactors simply play it safe..sell dad another bike for ma and another for the kid.WIN/WIN situation...more product sold,less liability.
If you believe the warnings about passengers..do you follow their instuctions about altering the bikes...bigger tires,different pipes,air cleaners,types and brands of oil,...etc.
What about riding in water over the axles...oops!!
Not intending to FLAME...just some food for thought....thanks..Bill

Old 04-27-2000, 12:43 AM
Range Rover

Hey guys. Personally I ride with two people on my quad alot. Take it easy remember its not only you you have to worry about but your passenger. Install a set of rear footpegs and this will help keep your feet from getting tied up. Also inform your passenger on when to lean into turns and not to act smart because the weight distribution is easily changed on your quad. #1 If your passenger doesn't have a helmet or refuses to where one he doesn't ride. Once he/she is on your machine they are your responsibility. On the subject of registration, insurance I think people should have it. It saved me alot of money when my quad rolled down a bank. One thing I strongly advise to everyone new to the atv seen is to take a rider safety course course. This will probably be mandatory later and with the sales of atv's going up the accidents will go up to. Remember the first time you think your to good to have an accident BOOM! There you are and after the poo we went through in the 80's we don't need a repeat the manufacturers are just starting to come out of there shell again. Just be responsible. Remember it's not the atv it's the rider. That is until Honda comes out with one that drives for you. LOL

Ride safe and have fun.

Proud Owner: 98 Honda Foreman 450ES
99 Honda 400 EX

Old 04-27-2000, 02:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

It depends a lot on the ATV, I have never ridden a rancher. I carry passengers often on the Magnum 500 to get them from place to place on the farm. The person is usally sitting on the back rack and I can't even tell their on the back. On smaller atvs it could get kind of tricky. As long as you use common sense I am sure you will be fine.

Old 04-27-2000, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

All this talk about 2up riding has really got me thinking. I live in Canada and up here about 75 to 80% of the quads you see around here have 2 people on them. As far as I am concerned common sense is the main factor here. I ride big 2 wheel bikes and beleive me a big motorcycle demands much more attention with a passenger than a quad. Take if from someone with short legs a big bike with a passenger, in parking lots and busy intersections is alot trickier. Anyway enough about 2 wheelers, but it sill doesn't make sense to me to say NO PASSENGERS ALLOWED then not have a helmet law. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-27-2000, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

Simply put ATV's are not designed to carry passengers. Manufacturers don't put "no passenger" stickers on ATV's because they want to sell more ATV's. The engineers designed ATV's to be operator only vehicles. Even if you're only going 10mph on a smooth gravel road why take the chance with a loved one? If it is so important to take passengers with why not buy an 'ATV like' vehicle that is designed to carry passengers like a Kawasaki Mule, JD Gator, or Polaris Ranger? The lowest priced Mules and Gators aren't that much more expensive than the big 4x4 atv's.

Old 04-27-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Well said!!

Ps: If you scroll up a couple of posts you will see why I dont carry Passengers anymore.

Old 04-27-2000, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

i would not do it especially if you had a sport quad. i have fallen off off one (while not wearing a helmet) and it does hurt. when i do ride people on mine once and i while i don't like it b/c i can drive it as well. plus if one of my friends get hurt while i am driving them around i don't think there parents would like that. but i think that if you are a parent and you are ridding your child around well that should be your decision. you should use your judgment while you are on the trail.

Quick Reply: Passengers