Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Passengers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2000, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Michigan it is illegal to ride 2 on a quad.I disagree with the law.I ride my share of flat trails.Sure there are hills.I will AVOID them when I carry a passenger.I avoid ANY obsticles that could be dangerous to myself or my passenger.I once got stopped for riding across the lake to my favorite ice fishing spot for riding double.The ice was completely flat.I was'nt climbing any hills nor driving in an un-orderly fashion.Man, I would of been pissed if the DNR would of fined me.My Sportsman is FULLY capable of riding another passenger on flat terrain.[DNR agreed with me]The Snowmobilers do it ALL THE TIME.There were snowmobilers riding [double] the same ice that I was,where is there any differance?Its not illegal for them to do the EXACT same thing I was doing.I think it should be perfectly ok to ride double on flat lands,just so you are not doing it in an un-orderly fashion.I really enjoy taking my wife and sometimes my daughter on trail rides.Am I suppose to go and purchase another quad for my wife and daughter to ride just a few times a year?I'll take my chances with getting caught.And if the DNR wants to give me a ticket,he will surly get an ear full from me.

Now there are those of you who will preach to me about all the freaking warning labels.With all the earlier injuries in the 80s with the 3 wheelers,the Manufactures are just protecting their own backs.Who has just towed ONLY the recommended weight with their quads?Nobody.

I say if you want to ride double on a trail,do it.But use common sense.Avoid hills/holes/obsticles that could hamper the drivers ability to SAFELY control the quad.Use slow speeds.This would be a perfect time to have your passenger carry the camera and photagraph the beautiful things that Ma Nature has provided us.Its just MY opionion,and you'll have a hard time convincing me otherwise,====BILL

Old 04-27-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To jaxberg....
I politely disagree with just about everything in your post...
1.You take chances with your loved ones every day..be it in an auto,boat,plane....etc.
This was about carring passengers safely....which most people will say can be done with common sense.Pretend...just for a moment..that there were no warning labels...no laws against it ,and you could not afford another atv. Are you saying you dont feel comfortable with a loved one aboard at 10 mph. on a quiet trail? The same warning stickers you allude to, show you can carry several hunded lbs on each rack and tow many hundreds more.Experenced riders will attest these machines will go just about anywere with common sense.The atv's can and do take it all in stride.
The main concern is liability in courts,and having others legislate "safety" for us...something I"m totally against! Prosecute the drunks and idiots for screwing up... not by taking away personal freedoms of people with good, commmon sense.
I wish to god I could "guarantee" everyone would have a safe ride every time...but ours is a Dangerous sport in which people are hurt and killed all to offten.I've personally seen several deaths in offroading (s.CALIF) and my dad was crippled by another biker hitting him head on ..
on a narrow dirt path...his left hand was severly mangled..he knew the risk and contiues to ride with some limitations in his 70's.
I quess what I 'm trying to say is KNOW the hazards and use common sense ...
Sorry to ramble on but I hate when someone follows the book..for the wrong reasons..
Ride Safe..watch out for that.........tree!

Old 04-28-2000, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Here in NH, it is legal to carry passengers. I personally have ridden with my five year old son aboard, on a 40 mile trail ride. I feel it is as safe, provided that you know your limitations and use common sense, as riding double on snowmachines, motorcycles, or horses for that matter. As far as the logic, that goes something like "look at what happened to me, thats why you shouldn't ride double". If you use that logic you would never get into an automobile with your children either, I mean look at how many people we all know who have been injured in auto accidents. On a snowmobile trip to Quebec, Canada, I noticed that almost every other 4-Wheeler on the trails had two people on it. I didn't see anyone having any problems at all. By the way, I'm in no way telling people that riding two up is safe, but I wouldn't tell them that riding alone is safe either. Its all about common sense, and knowing your limits. One more thing, my five year old son sits in front of me, with a youth model HJC CL-X3 full face helmet and scott goggles.

Old 04-28-2000, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry double post.

Old 04-28-2000, 04:33 AM
Range Rover

passenger---OK

if there is anyone out there who actually reads all the warning stickers on his bike and believes he should never go against anything they say, he don't need to ride a atv....he needs one of those electric wheelchairs at wal-mart and don't forget your helmet.

Old 04-28-2000, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Bill....this is scary....I find myself agreeing with you more and more...
The only thing that saves me is that Big,Beautiful,and Yellow...HONDA
Have a fun,safe weekend...BILL
Leading the lemmings to the promised land (mud)!!

Old 04-28-2000, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

Bill450es,

I understand the point you are trying to make. However, I still disagree that it is OK to carry passengers under any circumstances. By the way my wife has an aunt that lives in North Branch. My wife goes there often. I live in New Brighton and have a cabin up near Nisswa.

This is just my opinion and we're all entitled to our opinions . . . just because an ATV says it can carry a certain weight on its racks doesn't legitimize carrying a passenger. To me there is a big difference between loading the racks on my Polaris and having my 7 year old riding on the seat with me. I feel he is much safer on his own little 50cc quad. It was designed for him. I have been riding ATV's for 18 years. My argument is not about following all the stickers on the ATV. It is about using a piece of machinery in the way it was intended. We have all used a socket wrench as a hammer at times right? But, just because "we are careful or can't afford a hammer" does that make it good common sense? Good common sense tell us we should get the right tool for the job. I own a Honda 400ex which I jump, wheelie, and race so obviously I do not follow all the stickers. Does this make me hypocritical? If I don't allow passengers but will jump a machine? Well common sense tells me that an experienced rider can jump and race a 400ex - just look at the machine. What visual clues are there on a 400ex or any ATV that indicate it was designed for passengers?

Old 05-01-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

A 400ex is a very small quad when comparing it to a 500cc Sportsman.The Sportsman can handle another rider with no problems.I would'nt want to carry another rider on the EX either.You simply cant make a comparison between these two quads when passengers are brought up.You mentioned getting the right tool for the job?In this case,the EX is not the right tool for another passenger,the Sportsman is.====BILL

Old 05-02-2000, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

BOB 450es,you mean to tell me that you and I agree on something in here?Whats this world coming to?Well I have read your posts in here to,and cant find one single thing I disagree with.How about that?===BILL

Old 05-03-2000, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well said Bill!!!!!This whole thing is the GOV trying to do away with PERSONAL responsibility. Let Darwin Take care of the Fools. I will take care of me and mine. And Yes we WILL ride two up anytime we want to.