Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Passengers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read many postings about the dangers of carrying passengers - such as going up steep inclines.
My wife and i each have our own Honda Ranchers with the aftermarket passenger seat.
Any tips on how to carry passengers safely through a wooded trail. We'd like to take our two kids along - with helmets of course. I'm sure many of you have carried passengers safely for years.
Thanks

Old 04-26-2000, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

You don't. I have never, and will never, carry passengers, seat or no seat.

Old 04-26-2000, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a response, but an observation. Double riding is illegal in many states, including my own. Also, the mandatory warning stickers on new ATV's sold in the US indicate double riding is prohibited. Further, I believe the ATV Safety Institute discourages double riding.

I understand Canada permits two-up; hence, the aftermarket passenger seat. Generally, one expects Canadian regulations to be more stringent than in the US (e.g., firearms, etc.). In this one area, at least, our allies and trading partners to the north have a more liberal policy than we do. Don't know about Mexico!

Tree Farmer

Old 04-26-2000, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

We have driven 2 up for many years although we prefer not to. Use your own judgement. If there are some tough conditions like steep inclines, have your passenger get off and walk, Better to be safe than sorry. If your kids are relatively small, you won't even hardly notice they're there. The biggest difference is going to be your driver skill. You will have a little less control because you will be sitting closer to the handlebars. Have them sit as close to you as possible with their arms around you and not leaning backwards hanging onto the rack. In bumpy conditions, hanging onto the rack can be rather bouncy and hard on their elbows or they could even get thrown off. I'm sure your parental instincts will kick in if the conditions are unsafe for the kids. Have fun!

Old 04-26-2000, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting comments.

Newsmedia - to address the question directly. Yes it is discouraged and most likely illegal, but we have always done it. Adult/adult as well as adult/kid. The machines in question are an '87 Honda Four-Trax and a '98 Polaris Sportsman. We have only had one problem. That was the Honda going over backwards into a muddy ditch with 2 adult on. This was a tricky crossing at best, let alone with 2 adults (no one hurt). The key is to avoid terrain that will get you into trouble with 2 people on. Generally this is only the roughest of terrain such as steep hills, steep ditches etc. Most trail riding, with a concious driver, will be just fine. Use common sense, get to know the limits of the machine.

On the moral issue. Yes it is discouraged but the reality of the situation is that I can only affort 2 machines. Convince me that 2 on a utility ATV, driven with common sense, is less dangerous than 2 on a motorcycle, scooter, or snowmobile.

TreeFarmer - legal in Canada eh? Interesting. Just had this conversation the other day with a neighbor. Here in Ontario I do believe it is illegal. In Quebec I suspect it is legal with the addition of the 2 up seat. Maybe XPLOR or one of our other Quebec forum mates could clarify this for us.

For years we rode snowmobiles in Ontario and Quebec with passengers. Quebec passed a law within the last 10 years saying that passengers would only be legal if the machine had a 2 up seat. Thousands had to upgrade the seat or buy a new machine so Mama could ride along.

I agree, our laws are usually stricter than the US. You provided a few good examples. Another one is emissions. In many ways our emissions regs are stricter than California's.

My opinion, two up is OK if the driver has a brain and knows the limits of his machine.

A final comment. With a handle like newsmedia, you are making me nervous about responding to this!

DJ

Old 04-26-2000, 02:08 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

I have done it for years with no trouble, if you can ride good and your smart about it, there should be no trouble. I agree with unclefester, if in a nasty area have the kids walk. and rember to tell them to duck when you do All this warring stuff on the quads is due to sue happy people just like the 3 wheelers in the 80's. I hate wimps and people should be able to do what they want in a free country. Be smart and careful and enjoy rideing!

Old 04-26-2000, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Newsmedia, I would like to say that I admire you for the brass to speak up on this subject. It seems funny to me that here in Georgia there are allot of people that "Preach" against riding double but when the kids or wife want a ride they are the first to offer. I have been riding ATV’s for years thanks to an uncle that has two. We would ride quite a bit and use the machines for hunting and work on his farm. When the work was done we would grab the wives and go for long slow rides over some dirt roads and trails. Any one should know that you do not try the big hills or go zinging around through the woods with two people on these machines. I believe that these laws were enacted to keep kids from riding kids. Once again the Imperial Federal Government of the US thinks that the citizens are idiots and need to be protected from themselves. Congrats to you and Canada for the belief that your riders do actually have the brains to turn the key responsibly.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2000, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't worry about my handle. Though I work in the media business, I'm certainly not a journalist nor am I doing an in depth story on the joys and sorrows of ATVing. We have miles upon miles of trails near our place and I would like to explore them with the whole family. The only way to do this, unfortunately, is two up on each machine. Naturally assinine behaviour whether riding single or two up will lead to accidents.
I would like to thank everyone for their comments - I'll proceed with caution whenever riding with a passenger.

Old 04-26-2000, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Never have passengers!!!
I learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I stupidly had 2 people on a Yamaha Moto 4, We were not breaking any land speed records but we were moving along pritty good. Anyway we hit a rut and I hit the brakes, even with 8 years of Atving experience I was still unable to control the quad.
We flipped over and my friend broke his leg and I was pinned under the atv knocked out because I hit my head hard.
The left atv tie rod had snapped and the right rim was baddly bent.
I guess there are 2 morals to this story
1) Always wear a helmet because it saved my life
2) Never have passangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will be very suprised at what a little exra weight can do to your ability to control the atv.
I hope this message makes people think twice about having a passenger.
And please ride safe.

Old 04-26-2000, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can argue all you want about laws and two up seats,all it takes is common sense.I live in New Brunswick Canada I could leave my back door and travel for days.There is no laws and police in the woods your on your own,just a little sense.Happy riding.

Quick Reply: Passengers