Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

lime spreaders

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lime spreaders

hello im from northern minnesota and if any of you have been here theres no farm land so for the lime spreader it needs to be small but wheel driven and cheaper. another thing is i need a disc, i was looking at a monroe tufline disk for my kodaik but im only 17 so i need the price to be lower and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2004, 01:47 AM
BSA
Pro Rider
Default lime spreaders

There is two kinds of lime, white ag-lime and pelletized lime. The ATV spreaders and pull behind spreaders only spread pelletized lime, because the ag-lime clumps up. Ag-lime is as cheap as $3/ton at the quarry. Pelletized lime is $80/ton (bulk) to $140/ton (bags). Since soil tests may call for 2 or more tons of lime, If there is any way you can spread ag-lime out the back of a truck it is alot cheaper than pelletized lime. To spread seed, fertilizer and pelletized lime from my ATV, I use a 12 volt Bumper Buddy on the rear of my ATV. It costs about $175. Other brands are cheaper and probably just as good. I looked at the pull behind models, but they were bigger than I needed and cost a lot more. The Bumper Buddy handles a max of 50lbs of material, the pull behinds about 300lbs. When I want to spread seed/fertilizer/lime down a steep slope it is easy to back up to the slope and simply turn the Bumper Buddy on. I couldn't do that with a pull behind. Also for fertilizing and liming trees, I can put the Bumper Buddy on the front of the ATV, drive up to the tree and turn the bumper buddy on for a moment..

With farmers going to bigger tractors, the small discs and even old horse drawn discs are cheap and can even be found in junk piles. Start scouting and making phone calls. You should be able to find an old one, suitable to pull behind an ATV for free to $100.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default lime spreaders

If your wanting to lay ag lime (powder lime) over your land...your not going to find a good broadcast spreader of any sort to spread it good. If your wanting to go that route then...check with your local co-ops or ag markets...I work for a co-op in central Indiana and I know that we offer to spread ag lime for very cheap..So you could have someplace spread it for you for little cost....the pellitized lime which is expensive..compared to the powdered lime can be spread with just about any broadcast spreader.