Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Hoyt/Reflex Cam & 1/2 System

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoyt/Reflex Cam & 1/2 System

Does the "Cam and a Half" system offered on the Hoyt and Reflex bows REALLY stay in tune at all times or is that just advertising hype? If not, does it at least stay in time as well as a singe-cam? Is it just as reliable as a single-cam? I'm looking long and hard at a Reflex Buckskin for a purchase in the near future. Any help and insight here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

I dont know much about the new cam and half technology. Define what you mean by staying in "tune". When you talk about cam and half and two cam bows, you need to make sure that both cams are breaking over at the same time. With a single cam bow, there is only one cam, and an idler wheel, making it easier to adjust, if there are problems. The other way a bow is out of tune is the set up. Like finding the center point for your rest, setting the knocks on your string for arrow alignment, setting your peep-site. Lastly, you need to paper tune. But the paper tuning is mainly changed by your rest. All bows if set up correctly and maintained stay in tune a long time. Good luck on your purchase I think you will be happy with it..

Old 10-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

I guess I really meant "in time" instead of "in tune." A lot of people find the 2-Cam bows to be a hassle when it comes to keeping them in time with each other. The Cam & 1/2 is always supposed to be in time just like a one-cam though. I've been doing some research on this topic and found this article. I'd appreciate someone with some knowledge of cams and wheels to tell me if the technology makes sense, because I do not have that knowledge. Thanks!

Test of older Hoyt Bow that explains the Cam & 1/2:

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/field_tested/hoyt_0618/

Old 10-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

I read the article, and it does make sense. Although I would be shaky on getting one myself. If he had a little problem tuning it, then I'am sure I probably would. Imo, I would stick with the one cam system, because that is what I have used for years. The cam and 1/2 may be the thing of the future, but for now the one-cams rule. It just seems to me that it's to much like a 2 cam bow, that once one of the cams gets out of rythem with the other, things are going to go wrong. I hope others will give there opinions, so you get more info. Maybe just wait another year to get a better feel for how they perform.