Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Mini-14 Price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-14 Price?

well how much do you think a used Mini-14 ranch rifle is worth? it is a 2002 model 5 mags and a 3-10x44mm bsa scope...it is the stainless steel model with the synthetic stock...near perfect condition...you can buy them new for 525 so i was kind of thinking 300 with the mags and scope....any ideas? thanks...

Old 01-29-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mini-14 Price?

I paid 275 for the one I bought a year or so ago but it was an exceptional deal. It was NIB and was one of the stainless models with the factory folding stock. Like I said an exceptional deal.

I would say 300-350 is reasonable if it is in very good conditions. Mags mean diddly usually since you can get new hi cap models now since the diabolical ban has lifted. Scope isn't exactly high dollar either (BSA makes pretty decent scopes though). I'm not sure that Ruger is making the stainless models anymore so I would snap it up if I could get it for 300 or 350 range.

Not exactly my favorte rifle but an good rugged rifle that will serve you well.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mini-14 Price?

Polarisman 3,
At the very minimum $300. You can do alot better than that. They changed a little for 2005,better sights and flat but stock. that might hurt you a little. A great place to go is perfectunion bbs, Its a great place to advertise, get tips on how to accurize it, and they will give you a pretty good idea what its worth. Its the best mini 14 website out there. Im assuming you have the ranch model, they sell pretty quick.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mini-14 Price?

thanks guys, i will go under that site you gave me and see what can be done to accurize it...i get about 1.5-2 inch groups at 100yds...i think i am being a little too pickey with it being i am comparing it to my new bushmaster M4 A2....thanks guys..

Old 01-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mini-14 Price?

If you get 1.5 to 2 inch groups at a hundred yards you might want to hang on to it. Ruger specifies within 4 inches at 50yds. Typical is 4.5 to 7 inches at hundred plus flyers. Mini owners go through a whole lot of work and about another $100 to break 2 inches.
I can understand the dissatisfaction compared to an AR. An Ar anything will beat it hands down any day of the week with either chome lined or chromolly barrels. Personally Id keep em both, you may want it back someday. If you ever win the lottery you may consider replacing that buggy whip, soda straw barrel.
Im not ******* the gun, it is one of my favorites, it just aggravates the doo doo out of me that people have been complaining to Ruger about these barrels since 74 and they do nothing.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mini-14 Price?

yeah your right I mean I dont understand how Ruger can make a Mini-14 and claim their accuracy to have a 4 inch group at 50 yds...i mean thats rediculous...would'nt they want to do somthing about this, if anyone knows their accuracy they probably woulnt buy one expecially when they retail for over 700 or 750 dollars...and the mags you buy for mini's are typically sub par...yeah mabey I'll keep it and get a different stock for it to make it look better...

Old 01-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mini-14 Price?

Glad to know it isn't just me with accuracy issues.

I have shot several hundred rounds through mine and couldn't get groups below 6 inches. Plus it has serious flyer issues. I put mine on sandbags and I shot a 30 rounds through it and probably 25% of them were flyers. The main group was in a 6 or 7 inch circle for the most part but one shot would hit fairly close to aim point and the next would impact up to a foot away. I was more than a little perplexed. I can take my national match AR out and shoot the same target and leave a single ragged hole in the target.

I thought maybe it was just this rifle. It doesn't matter I guess as I just use it for occasional plinking and for one of those guns you put back to sell if you get hard up for cash. It does look neat in stainless and the folding stock. Good for a boat gun I guess. It is a rugged gun though and I have never had a malfunction with it yet.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mini-14 Price?

If your considering a new stock you may want to take a look at the mini 14 gallery on the perfectunion website. Theres all kinds of neat creations on it. The minis are undeniably reliable, just not accurate. I think if I was looking for another mini it would the mini 30 which shoots a 7.62. Its a good hunt gun under 125 yds. and plinks cheap.
A muzzle brake, torquing the gas block screws, glass-bedding the action, and changing ammo(winchester JHP 40 count economy in the white box found at wallmart) should bring it down to 3 inches. Of course you would still have to take a lunch break in-between shots because the muzzle climb is soo bad when the barrel gets hot.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mini-14 Price?

CaptainQuint,
Your flyers appear to be worse than typical. You may consider the following experiment. Scrub out your bore really well. Pay close attention to the chamber. The chambers of these guns exceed Nato specs and have excessive free-bore. its Rugers way of avoiding law suits which also starts the inaccuracy problems. Deposits really build up in this area. Make sure the 4 screws holding the gas block on are snug with both halves being gapped evenly. This is the part that sounds ridiculous but works-get a 3 inch water hose clamp. Wrap it over the top of the reciever and in front of the trigger and tightened down. You may need to pre-bend it a little to conform better. It will have to be retightened a little from time to time as the clamp relaxes. If accuracy improves and flyers are not as widespread than you will know that glass bedding the action is definatly needed. Remember the snap-lock trigger guard is the only thing that attaches the gun to the stock. Recoil has a tendency move the reciever around inside the stock creating a different point of impact from shot to shot.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mini-14 Price?

got a question, well i was looking at buying the butler creek folding stainless stock and i have the stainless steel model gun with the black synthetic stock now i was wondering if it will fit this model?? it says it fits 181 modles but not the 180 model...how do i know which model mine is?? see mine dont have that screw on the side of the stock like the butler creek one has so i dont think it will fit unless it comes with those 2 screws...any ideas? thanks

Quick Reply: Mini-14 Price?