Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Howa Triggers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howa Triggers?

I have a Howa 1500 in 300 WSM. Love the round and gun except the trigger. It shoots decent, but I think it would be a whole nother gun with a good trigger. The factory trigger has some creep in it, and I can sometimes find myself pulling before the shot. Does anyone know of a good replacement, or know if the factory job can be tuned. I have thought about trading it in for another Rem.( I am a die hard Remington nut), but figured that a new trigger would be cheaper.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Howa Triggers?

my brother in law has a Howa in .223 with no complaints as of yet. I thought I read some where that Howa had a recall...wish I could remember where.

Either way, find a good reputable gunsmith to fix that trigger up right. It would be much cheaper than a new gun........but then again, if you're like me, any excuse to get a new gun is good enough for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Howa Triggers?

bolt recall on some howa ,smith and wesson,mossberg and interarms here is web site
http:www.regcen/com/howa/ that will get you the info.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Howa Triggers?

[quote]
Originally posted by: LEP7MM
my brother in law has a Howa in .223 with no complaints as of yet.

I was considering this to be my next gun. I was wanting a heavy barreled varmint rifle, most likely in 223. Like I said earlier, I would love to have a new Remington, particuarlly the new Light Varmint fluted stainless rifle that Rem just released, but as you may know, the Howas are more reasonably priced. Also I have no complaints w/ the gun except the trigger(which I guess is no reall big problem). Do you have any idea as to what kind of group his Howa shoots? I know what a Remington is capable of as I own a couple, and have shot several more. If I can get this trigger set like I want, the Howa Varmint rifle might be my next toy. Thanx yall.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Howa Triggers?

BBB,

currently, he has the rifle shooting 4 inches high at 80 yards. His reasoning for this is to put him right on at 300 yards for coyotes. As far as windage, it's right on the money. Grouping is as accurate as he wants to shoot. Definitely one of those guns that are capable of tighter groups than the shooter.

We walked the 80 yards out to a bucket that I had set up to make sure the rifles were sighted in. It had a dirt backstop about 6 feet high so I was going to put a clump of dirt the size of a baseball on top. By the time I got back to the patio, he already had a load in the gun, waiting for me to clear, and BAAMM!!!!! I didn't get a chance to load up my T/C in .223 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Although my Contender G2 only has one shot, I still like it over the Howa mainly for the design of the stock/handgrip. But if I had the funds right now, I would buy a left handed Howa with a thumbhole grip.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Howa Triggers?

I hear ya on that. I have seen the thumbhole stocks in two different colors, both laminated. NICE. I would like to have the grey colored version. Did you know that you can order the stocks and actions seperatly? I have thought about having a synthetic stock and the thumbhole also, as they will interchange. Idk, maybe I just want too many toys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2005, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Howa Triggers?

Make sure the gunsmith is a competent one that has experience in tuning high powered rifle triggers. I had a friend take his Remington 700 to a gunsmith to have the trigger worked on and when he got it back it was plain dangerous to shoot. He took it to another gunsmith and the first guy had butchered it I guess. Had to put some new parts in as I understand it.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Howa Triggers?

I have a Howa 1500 22-250 with a custom milled boyd's stock, free floating barrel, and glass bedded action. They come with an adjustable trigger. I have'nt adjustde mine yet but do know they do have an adjustable trigger.