Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Summit Viper Treestand....Any Input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit Viper Treestand....Any Input?

This treestand seems like the cat's meow. Is it really as good as I'm perceiving it to be? How easy is it to set up once you've reached your tree? How quickly can you fold it up to backpack? Where's the best price on one?

Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Trailblazer

I assume that you are talking about the new for this season models. I did have a Summit and liked it. It was easy to set up and comfortable once you got to your height. I ended up trading a buddy for an API that he had. Size and weight were about the same and just as comfortable.

Here are the reasons that I got rid of the Summit. 1. The cables were VERY stiff and I ALWAYS made noise when I was putting it on the tree. 2. Since the cables have only a few "knots" it sometimes made it difficult to fine tune placement on the tree. 3. Everytime that I would get the cable into place in the frame of the stand, I would have to pull it into so the "knot" would be in the correct position. MORE NOISE!

I know that my stand was an older one and didn't have the new system so it could be better than what I had. So I also don't know about the extra time that it takes to go from backpack to tree. As for price, just shop around and do the best you can. Even if someone gave it to you, someone else out there would say they would have been able to get a better deal.

As a side note on the API, a buddy was hunting about two years ago and the wind really started picking up. He was getting ready to get down and a 6" to 8" tree limb snapped out of a tree next to him. The limb came down and went between him and the tree hitting his safety harness, pinning him in the tree. He managed to get his hand free and call a few of us to come and get him out. A guy went up in another climber and cut him free. The API wasn't phased at all. This is another reason I now hunt with an API!

Old 07-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Which API model was it? Yeah I currently have a River's Edge and it's a very strong and stable platform. However the weight and noise it makes, especially on a cold day with the metal creaking when you shift your weight is RIDICULOUS!

Old 07-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

The model is the "Grand Slam Suspreme" if I remember right. It's a little harder to get on but much more adjustable and quite. Weight is about the same and it's just as comfortable once you set down to hunt.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

So you say the cable system on the Summits have been updated since you owned one? How hard was the API to backpack and how long did it take to fold it?

Old 07-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

The newer Summit's have a "squeeze" type system that I think they came out with new for last year. You can probably see it in a catalogue like Bass Pro or Cabela's.

I am not sure what you mean when you say fold? I know that some of the newer stands do fold flater. My API is all solid and weld construction. The seat portion fits inside the platform section. If I had to guess, the total height of mine measured sitting on a flat surface would be about 12" to 16". One good thing about the API is that the chain system can be pulled in and strapped to the rest of the stand. With the Summit's, the cables form a big "U" shape on the end of the stand that snags on a lot of stuff.

One other opinion on stands it "Keep it Simple." The more moving parts = more noise and places for things to go wrong. On the API, it's two pins on the top, two pins on the bottom and it's attached. I carry an extra just in case I were to drop on. Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

One other thought. Check out a local shop and see if they have these stands or others for you to see and play with. Just don't take my word for it. You are the ultimate one that will need to be happy with your purchase. It just doesn't matter what I think if you aren't happy. One other brand that is EXPENSIVE but a good stand is called "Lone Wolf.' They use cast aluminum to keep wight WAY down but the price is WAY up. It is a stand that I will look into when I look to replace my API, but that is a few years down the road!

Old 07-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Well I'm taking the plunge and going to place an order at my local Bass Pro outlet tomorrow for an X5 Viper. Hope I don't regret it.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

Good luck. Get the one you will be happy with. Not the one I recommend or even a salesperson. You are the one hunting with it and using it. Gotta be happy with it.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

I personally like these

Tomcat's

The Tomcat II is my favorite.

Quick Reply: Summit Viper Treestand....Any Input?