Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Pistol Purchase any input? Glock/ S&W/ Berretta

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006 | 01:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pistol Purchase any input? Glock/ S&W/ Berretta

Ruger P series is still cheap, built sturdy, shoots nice groups, and doesn't jam. You can get them for next to nothing at a sporting goods shop. Read the magazine reviews. Out of the box they were as impressed with it as guns costing twice as much. I have had a HK, Colt, and a Ruger and for bang for the buck, the Ruger will always be next to my nightstand. (in .40)

Old 06-27-2006 | 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
The Beretta 92 is the most inconsistent pieces of garbage I have ever owned. I've owned three of them and none of them I have had have I been able to get to work satisfactorily. God forbid you get the things dirty. They simply don't tolerate dirt. I wore the thing on a hiking and hunting trip once and it got somewhat dusty and dirty and it simply wouldn't cycle reliably. I pity the poor souls who have to trust their lives to the miserable contraptions. I will say that Beretta was good about warranty service. No complaints there. They were top notch. Friendly, courteous and great about trying to help with problems. I had a slide crack and they replaced it no questions asked. I had some internal parts break another time at a really inconvenient time and the next morning they were on my doorstep via fedex.
Do you think the graphite powder lube would help with that? I have a friend who was a Marine in desert storm and he said they used that, otherwise the oil would attract sand and dust. He said it worked great.

He had to go in the reserves to keep his benefits, and not get screwed out of his pension. He spent 14 years in the Marines, and would have been all set if he stayed in 6 more years. Because he was that close, he got cut by Clinton and was forced to go into the reserves or he would have wasted 14 years of his life. Amazing isn't it, he got bent over as reward for faithfully serving his country. He would have stayed in the Marines his whole life, but was forced to enter the civilian world. I don't remember what his military job was, but it didn't have a civilian counter-part. So he had to start from the bottom at 30-something years old. He also ended up in operation Iraqi freedom as a reservist at 40-something.

Old 06-27-2006 | 06:13 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bubba123
Ruger P series is still cheap, built sturdy, shoots nice groups, and doesn't jam. You can get them for next to nothing at a sporting goods shop. Read the magazine reviews. Out of the box they were as impressed with it as guns costing twice as much. I have had a HK, Colt, and a Ruger and for bang for the buck, the Ruger will always be next to my nightstand. (in .40)
I have looked at the Rugers, and I will say they are the cheapest of the bunch as far as price goes. They however did not fit as well in my hands as the smith and wesson did. I also liked the Smith and Wesson sights better. Overall I really liked the Smith and Wesson better than the Ruger. Same goes with the Glock over the Ruger. I am trading some work for the pistol at the moment. He still has to get back to me with the final price on both the G19 and the M&P. Once I get that back I will make my final decision.

Old 06-27-2006 | 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

You've already got quite a few opinions on the different models you're looking at but figured I would chime in. I currently own a Berreta (92FS), Glock 19, and was issued a S & W .45 during my former life as a police officer. As a department, we had terrible results with the S & W's reliability and it came in last in pre-selection tests. The very first 75 to arrive had to be shipped back because of potentially dangerous flaws in machining. I carried my Glock 19 attached to my vest as a back up bedcause I didn't trust my life with the S & W. Personally, I would not buy a S & W product, except for their tried and true revolver line. I've had great success with my Berreta and Glock. Before buying the Glock, make sure you are comfortable with the trigger safety. Also think about how comfortable they may or may not be if carried concealed, if you plan to do this.

Old 06-27-2006 | 09:36 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply. I have done alot of research on both the G19 and teh M&P. I have found the G19 to be very reliable, and a very nice gun. As for the S&W I have heard nothing but good things about this gun so far. I know it is a farely new model, but if my friend has one, and he is a gun smith, then I feel comfortable buying one. He really knows his stuff, and I am sure if there was any flaw in this gun he would have found it. I still have not made my final decision, but he recomends the M&P so thats what Im leaning toward. Not to mention the fact its sights are nice than the glocks, and its slightly cheaper. And also has the interchangable backstraps so fit wise it is better than the glock.

Old 06-28-2006 | 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sparky8370

Do you think the graphite powder lube would help with that? I have a friend who was a Marine in desert storm and he said they used that, otherwise the oil would attract sand and dust. He said it worked great.
Yeah that was one of the things that I tried which did give the best reliability in dusty or very cold conditions. Still had trouble with intermittent feeding and jamming problems with it. I also had the slide failure after going to the graphite. Was it the cause? I don't know. The gun didn't have 1500 rounds through it when the slide failed and maybe 300 or 400 of them were ran through with graphite lube. Maybe I'm just jinxed when it comes to the Beretta 92. I love their other products but that handgun in my experience is an abortion.

Old 06-28-2006 | 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

The quality of the Beretta models has been on the decline for awhile now. The military had problems with the 9mm cracking slides. Quality control has deteriorated with them. I would rather have a Taurus than a Beretta, and save a bunch of cash too.

Old 06-28-2006 | 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Cobra.
I carry a H&K USP Compact .40 and really like it alot...Have you ever handled or shot one? They are very well balanced and quite dependable....Never jammed once and shot a lot of rounds thru it......Not to bash Glock because I've never owned one but I have heard that they have a tendency to jam when shooting reloads...I'm sure it's a fine weapon but stick with the factory loads.....I think when choosing a handgun alot has to do with the size of your hand and what feels comfortable amongst other things of course......Good luck...I'm sure you'll get the right one for you.....
John

Old 06-28-2006 | 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bubba123
The quality of the Beretta models has been on the decline for awhile now. The military had problems with the 9mm cracking slides. Quality control has deteriorated with them. I would rather have a Taurus than a Beretta, and save a bunch of cash too.
My taurus lists for around $550 how much would you really save?

I could pick-up a glock 9mm, 10mm, 40cal...any for well under under $600 brand new.....same place that carries all the police stuff...only they get a nice discount

Old 06-29-2006 | 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

I see some Taurus models sometimes with good deals at gun show and pawn shops. Moreover, they are often heavily discounted at larger sporting goods stores, especially the used ones. I do not like the feel of the trigger or the plasticy nature of Glocks. Glocks, some love em', some don't. I did like my HK USP .40 the most of all the guns I have ever owned. I was accurate as heck with that thing and it would take any rounds happily. I also think a guy can never go wrong with a Sig. The new ones are very expensive, but you can sometimes find them from people who have fallen on hard times and need the money.

Quick Reply: Pistol Purchase any input? Glock/ S&W/ Berretta