Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Pistol Purchase any input? Glock/ S&W/ Berretta

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006 | 10:48 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Pistol Purchase any input? Glock/ S&W/ Berretta

Well I have decided to purchase a new pistol. I am deciding between a few models though and I have not yet made me decision. First off though I will have to sell the one I have now.

Anyhow the three models I am looking at are the following:

1. Glock 19
2. Smith and Wesson M&P
3. Beretta Px4 Storm

Anyone here have any of these pistols. I have handed number 1 & 2, and like the feel of both. I have yet to get my hands on the Beretta. From what I have read all 3 are good pistols. If anyone has any feedback on any of the three models let me know. Or if you have another suggestion. I am pretty much set on a 9mm because of the fact they are pretty cheap to shoot. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-25-2006 | 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

one of my friends is competition shooter, he won some divisions and his dad was a champ at some point and they are into shooting and even have trained local police how to shoot. they highly reccommend the glock and have a couple 19's and love them. ive handled the 19 as well and it seems nice has a good feel and is rather compact, potent and accurate. still has some recoil but most do without a comp.

ever shot a comp gun? they are nice! ive shot springfield armory, colt, etc. out of all them, for personal protection and price- the glock is the best bet and most durable. you can get a 17 or even a 31 round mag for it (check your laws on this and the 31 will be sticking out the bottom quite a bit).

For some reason, they cant stand Baretta - ive heard of allot of jamming issues and most of the competition guys they know wont use them. Smith & Wesson is a good gun but im not sure if civilians can buy their M&P (military and police- im sure you know it means that) handguns?

sig, taurus, Springfield armory, colt, glock, CZ, S&W are all reccomended. Glock is the most reccomended. Academy has the best price on the 19 right now around here. the local guys went WAY up after the storm... dont know what its like up there.

Old 06-25-2006 | 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Nope....I got a nice pt 145 taurus 45 cal that was the smallest and lightest of its caliber w/ 10 shot capacity+1... auto....lifetime warranty on it too.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

http://www.armasyuniformes.com.ar/ma...mas/taurus.htm

some pics @ link

Old 06-25-2006 | 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

I've got a glock 22c. They are really easy to work on. I installed an extended slide release, extended mag release, 3.5 lb trigger, and a regular barrel. I haven't shot since I changed the barrel. I chose to change the barrel, because you don't want a compensated barrel throwing a flash up in front of your face at night if you're using it for home defense.
They are awesome guns.I have read articles where they put them in mud, ran them over while in the mud, froze them in a bucket of water then smashed the chunk of ice and in all cases fired the gun incedent free. They are pretty accurate, but could be really accurate. The bore is a little large and a little long to accomodate more variances in cases and how far the bullet is loaded into the case. This also helps with mud.
The next mod is a lasermax laser.

Old 06-25-2006 | 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

If you wish to shoot lead bullets or reloaded, re manufactured, factory reloads, copper washed bullets or anything other than standard grade factory ammo then do not go with the Glock. The Glock is a fine weapon. I have one that I trust my life to but they need specific feeding due to some peculiarities of their chamber design. If used with improper ammunition they have a nasty tendency to explode in the shooter's hand. This is known as a KaBoom! in firearms circles.

Personally I'd recommend that you look into the SigSauer P226. There are some really nice police trade-ins and factory refurbished ones on the market if you don't want to go the new route. I have owned the Glock, Beretta 92, various SWs, Rugers and in my opinion the "wondernine" achieved near perfection in the Sig 226. It is everything a high capacity 9mm should be. It is very accurate and nothing but reliable. The workmanship is outstanding and the trigger pulls are all very good. I'd make sure to check one out before I settled on a new 9mm.

Old 06-25-2006 | 05:33 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: twentycharacters
one of my friends is competition shooter, he won some divisions and his dad was a champ at some point and they are into shooting and even have trained local police how to shoot. they highly reccommend the glock and have a couple 19's and love them. ive handled the 19 as well and it seems nice has a good feel and is rather compact, potent and accurate. still has some recoil but most do without a comp.

ever shot a comp gun? they are nice! ive shot springfield armory, colt, etc. out of all them, for personal protection and price- the glock is the best bet and most durable. you can get a 17 or even a 31 round mag for it (check your laws on this and the 31 will be sticking out the bottom quite a bit).

For some reason, they cant stand Baretta - ive heard of allot of jamming issues and most of the competition guys they know wont use them. Smith & Wesson is a good gun but im not sure if civilians can buy their M&P (military and police- im sure you know it means that) handguns?

sig, taurus, Springfield armory, colt, glock, CZ, S&W are all reccomended. Glock is the most reccomended. Academy has the best price on the 19 right now around here. the local guys went WAY up after the storm... dont know what its like up there.

Yes I have seen the comp models. THere is a G19 that is a Comp, and the price is not too much more. Like mentioned above though I would not want the flash going off in the front of my face. I will take the extra recoil.

As for the M&P they are avalable for purchase. A local dealer has one now, they feel really nice in the hand. I would like to find someone that has one, so i can shoot it.

Thanks for all the imput guys!

Old 06-25-2006 | 11:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

I just talked to the friend of mine that has his FFl liscence. He does gunsmithing work, and competition shoots. Anyhow he has one of the S&W's and says out of the three they are the nicest. I now have it down to the Glock and S&W. I also do some work for him and his wife, so I may work out a deal with him on the new gun. Like get the gun as my payment for work. Maybe maybe not, ill see.

Old 06-26-2006 | 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

I've always been a little perplexed by the need for a compensated 9mm. Thats the whole point of having a 9mm is that is a mild little cartridge that is mild shooting that you can shoot comfortably and pack a bunch of into the grip of a gun. If you can't hold the gun on target while dumping out a mag of europellets you need to work on your shooting skills rather than drilling holes in the barrel in my opinion. And like everyone has said comp barrels are usually more uncomfortable to shoot.

Hey I seen a .22 rifle with a muzzle brake hanging off the end of it the other day so who knows.

Old 06-26-2006 | 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

I've owned Glock 19s since they first appeared and still have problems deciding if my 19 or Sig P226 is my favorite shooter. Hard to go wrong with a Glock or Sig.

Never have liked S&M's autoloaders, a personal thing from their early models and miserable attempt at producing Walther PP/PPKs, but the M&P is about as Glock as it gets and should be a decent performer.

I like Berreta long guns, the 1201P being my absolute favorite equalizer, but owning a couple of 92s turned me off their handguns. The Px4 is a new polymer piece which I haven't used and should also perform in an acceptable manner.

I have to repeat the old adage about picking a handgun; shoot it a lot before you buy it. Everyone has a different hand and every handgun is different.

Old 06-27-2006 | 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

The Beretta 92 is the most inconsistent pieces of garbage I have ever owned. I've owned three of them and none of them I have had have I been able to get to work satisfactorily. God forbid you get the things dirty. They simply don't tolerate dirt. I wore the thing on a hiking and hunting trip once and it got somewhat dusty and dirty and it simply wouldn't cycle reliably. I pity the poor souls who have to trust their lives to the miserable contraptions. I will say that Beretta was good about warranty service. No complaints there. They were top notch. Friendly, courteous and great about trying to help with problems. I had a slide crack and they replaced it no questions asked. I had some internal parts break another time at a really inconvenient time and the next morning they were on my doorstep via fedex.

Quick Reply: Pistol Purchase any input? Glock/ S&W/ Berretta