Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

i need a nice rifle sling

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need a nice rifle sling

as some of you have read i bought a new gun 7mm savage shortmag stainless steel and synthetic stock. for my old 30-06 that has wood stock i have a beautiful sling but the brown sling doesn't match my new rifle. i just need a nice comfy sling that works well and well is black. any good experience or bad experience is well appreciated.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider

I would look into a black model of this sling:

ching sling

The above are nice since they are lightweight and quite versatile. I also really like the old standby M1907 MRT sling. About as versatile and useful as you can get.

The proper use of the shooting sling is a becoming a bit of a lost skill. I suppose that's why we see people dragging around those silly shooting sticks everwhere because they can't be bothered to learn to shoot or use a sling properly.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Take a look at the Cabella's web site. Lot's of different stuff. If you are using a leather sling you do have the option of dying it to get the color you want. If you do dye it I would suggest you take it to a good leather shop as some dyes you buy off the shelf will bleed on your clothes for years.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

I have the Butler Creek Comfort Stretch Rifle sling in the black for my 7mm. I really like it. It can hold 4 bullets and I've never had it slip off my shoulder. Here's a link to them.

Butler Creek Rifle Sling

Old 10-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

well after shopping around and looking at all the slings i decided to go with the butler creek alaskan sling. i can carry 4 shells on the sling which makes it look pretty pimp. and beings this is for my short mag the casings are pretty big on the shells so it fits really snug in there. thanx to all that replied and i should take some pics of my gun and post when i get time. oh and good luck hunting to all.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]A good friend of mine bought what is called a Safari sling, which is also found in Cabelas. I hadn't seen one
before, but I am definately getting one for my deer hunting. It comes in Camo or Black. I plan on a black one.
Check it out before you get any other, I think you would be pleased you did. Its also in Cabelas catalog.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

I use a variation of that safari sling with all of my "Black Rifles" It holds them in front of you at the ready position. One off brand I bought at a gun show was useless as you couldn't really employ it as a proper shooting sling but the ones I have you can as they have the loops and adjustments in the proper places. The one Cabelas sells I'm told is pretty good too.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

I had an Alaskan sling and switched to the tactical safari sling from cabelas for a short time. But, since my body size is quite large and roundish (no comment from the peanut gallery) I went back to the alaskan sling as I like to keep the gun in my hands and my finger on the safety at times due to predators hunting me. (guess I smell too much like a doughnut) I could not get the safari tactical sling to allow the gun to hang comfortably.

I use the alaskan sling again on my 300 win mag and my 338. It holds the shells well and is padded for comfort when carrying on shoulder.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

well, i have tried many of the stretchy and web slings, but on my serious rifles, i have went back to the two piece leather military sling. turner saddelry makes a good one in black or brown. rigged right, these are handy, fast, and can be used as a shooting aid. they also look right on a hunting rifle.

monty

Old 11-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll second the Turner. They make a synthetic military sling. I've used one on several of my rifles in highpower shooting and if used properly are very accurate. They break in very well and don't slip. Don