Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Camo for my 4-wheeler

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My quad is the basic green and that's camo enough for me where I hunt. Me and 4 other guys got tired of pouring money into a lease only to be secretly outbid after a year or two and others reaping our benefits. So we bought a 635 ac farm. I don't poach or hunt illegally and we haven't had any issues with trespassers.

I have friends that hunt on public land that want camo or a cover so that others won't steal their quad.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dickenscpa
I have friends that hunt on public land that want camo or a cover so that others won't steal their quad.
i hunt public lands also and don't have a problem with someone wanting to steal my quad(s). i pull the keys, leave the quad in my line of sight, and i'll holler at someone getting too close that i've got a gun. that works!.
seriously though, i have camo and non camo quads that i use for hunting, the animals are curious about it from smells whenever they come across the machines. i really don't care if they're color blind or not, i just know they pick up on movement quicker than colors. i presume it's all in the shades/hues that tip them off.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, its more about UV absorbtion than camo, animals see more in the UV spectrum than we do, so camo clothes and such need to be washed with a non brightening (UV enhancing) soap so they wont "glow" to the animals eyes. Years back, I read about an army study that showed color blind men could pick out camo patterns better than most solid colors, something about the contrast being different. I have several bow hunting buddies that actually hunt in black or dark brown outfits and have never had a problem with deer picking them out. Birds, on the other hand have good color recognition, thats why the males are brightly colored,so camo for turkey hunting is definately needed.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy I ride with has a Cat and the dealer threw in the skins for 100 dollars. I think his ride is a 2007-8 and he has had no issues at all and they look good. He also has the strut sleeves and they are showing no wear.
He said he just hits them with the hose and the mud falls off.

Hope this helps.