Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Predator hunters using 4-wheelers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator hunters using 4-wheelers

How many predator hunters use their wheelers to get to stand? How far away do you walk from your machine? Do you think it helps or hurts your hunt.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

I usually ride mine back to my two favorite spots. At one I can hide it in the cedars and for the other I just cover it with a camo net. Several times I have planned on hunting the spot with the cedars but the wind changed and I had to change to the other and didn't bring the camo netting. Still had success.

I don't know that hiding the ATV makes any difference other than makes me feel better. Deer definitely don't pay it any mind and in fact are far less wary of an ATV than they are when I walk in on foot. I see many more deer up close when I ride as when I do when I walk in. When I walk in I'm lucky to see tails bouncing off through the woods. On the ATV I can ride within feet of them sometimes and they more or less ignore me.

A couple of weeks ago I rode within 5 or 10 yards of a doe. I seen her standing there so I stopped and watched her. I decided to shut the machine off and she looked at me for a few seconds and went back to eating. I watched her for 5 or 10 minutes and then started the ATV and drove off. She never moved. Just watched and then continued eating. Tuesday I had a little fawn walk right up to me as I was sitting on my ATV in my CRP. Could have reached down and picked her up. Last winter I rode right by a bobcat sitting by a fallen tree. Wasn't more than 20 yards away. He just sat there and watched me.

The animals in my timber are acclimated to the sounds of an ATV because I'm back there every day. Walking into the woods scares them more. A 2 stroke will also put them on alert because I generally ride a 4 stroke. I've ridden a dirt bike and a banshee out through the timber and there were animals running every which direction. They don't do that when I'm on a 4 stroke.

It's the same when I hunt for coyote, fox and bobcat. They're use to the noise so riding in doesn't see to concern them.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

Sadly, CO isn't as open to ATV's as it used to be. Many of the locations I hunt in are further closed to any vehicle.

I'm a die hard coyote killer. I'd love to be able to bring my quad, but so far I end up hoofing it to hunt. I hunt alot on Ft Carson, which doesn't allow ATV's for hunting, except to claim a downed critter. With songdogs I just pick em up and carry them. If it were an elk....that'd be different....

I don't worry too much about stealth getting to a hunting spot. I generally walk some distance to a set up. Plus most predators are pretty used to humans. Being handicapped I could probably get a permit to use an ATV, but I'll still end up walking pretty far, plus I can just use my truck in most places if I need it.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

I swear the bears that hit my bait station know that when they hear the ATV that dinner is about to be served. My machine is parked 25yds from the stand when I bring bait/scent in. I have seen black bears walk by it within 10ft and not even look at it twice. You have to be careful as some griz and brown bears like to nibble on anyting rubber or plastic. My friend has some iteresting tooth marks on his king Quad from a brownie.

I have also hunted wolf from a snow machine. They definitely hear them and early in the winter when they have not had much hunting pressure they are not a skiddish of them and you can get to within 50 yds before they go a running.

Never used one to spefically target yotes though.

SJ

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

My dad has hunted with an atv for a while. It's handy for retreiving game, and getting farther from the truck or camp and away from other people. I think if you use it as your hunting couch, you're not doing yourself any favors. Out west i've found the harder the area is to get to the more game you see. That means hoofing it like a mountain goat at times for a couple miles. I always seem to walk around 5 miles a day (according to gps). I just can't sit that long.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 AM
Range Rover

I don't like sitting too long either. Another reason I like hunting coyote to begin with. Kinda high speed hunting.

Since most of the land east of CO Springs is privately owned, I make use of the Walk In Access program alot. All those areas are just as the name implies. Although I doubt a rancher would object to using an ATV on his land to claim something big, most of the time it's all fenced off anyway and you scale the farmer's fence to get in.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WE hunt coyotes down here in'Bama,but most of the time its during early deer season. We have some open fields with clover etc planted as a cover crop,and see some coyotes time to time.The wounded rabbit call gets bob cats as well as coyotes....I don't shoot bob cats anymore. The big reason I kill coyotes is because they don't have any natural predator to keep them in check other than humans. 257 weatherby keeps them thinned on our place.The coyote population is overwhelming the ranchers.You see more and more donkees.

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

Sweet. I have a .257 Weatherby I bought last year but haven't had the money for a worthy scope yet. It's a dream gun so it's gonna be 100% done before I go popping off $4/shot rounds from it.

Seems a lot of gun for a songdog- not alot of pelt left I imagine. But I bet it'll reach right out there and touch them!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

ive been CHASSED ! By a MOOSE while on my old honda 250sx

they are not very afreid of your atv.
Luckly for 4th and 5th gear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and on a good location to pin it !

otherwise idd probly be bear bait :\

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Range Rover
Default Predator hunters using 4-wheelers"></title><script src=

well didn't get to take the ATV, but I did get out coyote killin' this weekend. Only got to drop the hammer on one male, and his summer coat looked terrible. No pelt going into the freezer from that mangy thing.

Love living in Coyote country. Was out at dawn hunting, back by afternoon to catch a Dropkick Murphys/Offspring concert in Denver before evening.