Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Hunting Camps

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting Camps

Just finishing up my camp, and looking for some different idea's for power (other than a generator) what type of chem toilet to use, stuff like that, Pictures are on my page. also anyone got some pics of their deer camps

Old 09-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hunting Camps

My two brothers' camp has had propane lights and an outhouse for 60 years. They even have a built in fridge that was salvaged from a trailer. It ain't broke so they don't fix it. There are 2 big propane bottles outside and copper lines run through the attic. It should all be replaced with black iron pipe but that's another story. Mantles and glass globes for the lights are still available at a general store. I haven't been there for years but as far as I know they don't have any electricity or chemical toilets. You walk out the front door to pee. I almost stepped on a porcupine barefooted one time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I only missed it by an inch. It was treed by the time I grabbed a gun and slipped my boots on, but I found it and made sure it wasn't going to stand on the porch again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] That would have made a funny video; me with nothing on but my boots and underwear with a gun in one hand and a flashlight in the other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Range Rover
Default Hunting Camps

LOL! that's to much! about the porkupine. thanks for the idea on the propane lights, never thought of that. Did you check out the pics, what did you think!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Moto Psycho
Default Hunting Camps

Yeah I did. Had to look again too. Can't believe how tall it is. If you leave an outhouse door open the porkies will eat the seat off just to get the salt from your sweat. You can't leave an ax or shovel out or it gets ate up too. They got into one old cabin and wrecked it pretty bad. If you see them you may as well kill them before they get a chance to tear things up.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:45 AM
Range Rover
Default Hunting Camps

point well taken, yah it is kinda tall but we wanted head room, most of our hunting group is 6' tall or larger, plus we wanted storage and with the materials available it was easier to go up than it was to go out!

Old 09-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hunting Camps

Nice camp you've got!

As for a toilet I'd think about just building an outhouse. That ends up being the cheapest. Not much to building one. There are plans on the internet for building one. I still have one here on the farm (yes I have indoor plumbing as well). Mine is quite old and beginning to take a serious lean so it is going to be replaced in the next year or two. That's right, it is 2008 and I'm going to build another outhouse to replace it. I've got 3 bathrooms in the house but that old outhouse comes in mighty handy believe it or not.

As for lighting, you have a couple of different directions you can go. If you'd like to use propane they make a wide variety of propane light fixtures. You can run the piping along or inside the walls. Some of the better known names for indoor propane lighting are Paulin Humphrey and Falks. If you use propane you could also then use propane heating and cooking appliances as well as on demand water heaters for hot water without the hassle of a big tank. Just be aware that propane is getting ungodly expensive. It's not like you're going to be heating your house with it all year but it is something to think about if you're wanting to keep operating costs low.

You could also go with low voltage 12 volt lighting and run everything from solar or wind. That sort of lighting has come a very long way in the past decade or so and might be something you might want to look into. Any sort of alternative energy or off -grid supplier could help you choose what you need in terms of batteries, chargers and such. You can also run an inverter to run regular 120 volt appliances f needed. It might cost more in the beginning but once you buy it there is really no continuing expense.

If you're just wanting straight lighting you might look into kerosene lamps and lanterns. The old fashioned oil lamps like your great grandparents used for light are fairly efficient. The petromax lanterns put out a great deal of light for the fuel they use.

Were it my camp I'd probably go with kerosene lighting and a wood stove for cooking and an outhouse. If I was really set on electricity I'd go with 12 volt lighting, solar or wind generator and a battery bank to store the power. Wouldn't be exactly cheap but it would be entirely self sufficient and you wouldn't have to rely on kerosene or propane or fuel for a generator

I guess it all depends on your budget, your power requirements and if you want to pay up front or spread the cost out.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Range Rover
Default Hunting Camps

I am thinking of going with a 12v system, a couple of marine deep cell batteries and a inverter charger, I figure when the batteries get low I can run the generator for a bit to top them off. They say that the new equipment is very good and relatively inexspensive. I figure 5 or 6 six fixtures placed just right will light the place just right, 2 in the big loft, 1 in the bathroom, 1 in the small loft, 1 in the kitchen area and 1 in the living area. and possibly 1 outdoor fixture near the door.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hunting Camps

12 volt is agood way to go. I had a sail boat with a wind gen. and a big solar panel,two D-cell batteries,will help keep up the power.In my state they don't allow outdoor privys anymore.Slit trench behind a hill is good. Just remember the natural way is to sit on a low limb,and bank up a lot of corn cobs.I just bought a fema trailer,and sure like the Park MOdel. Slightly used for 5 g's

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hunting Camps

I would like to post a pic,but can't seem to make it work? Any help would be appreciated!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Moto Psycho
Default Hunting Camps

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pwillie

I would like to post a pic,but can't seem to make it work? Any help would be appreciated!</end quote></div>

Put it on photobucket and copy the link here.

Quick Reply: Hunting Camps