Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

ATV camping

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rofl!! You guys are all fancy with your trailers!! I used a wheel barrow tub, bolted to a two wheel dolly then chained it to my hitch!! LOL...I need to quit being so cheap and get somthing decent.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good to me. Once they get covered in mud they all look the same. Is the axle mounted on the trailer box? Mine has springs. I am not sure yet which is best. I worry at times when I am on a side hill. I rode with a guy that had a nice trailer with a tent built in, it didn't have springs and he hit a bump and it bounced up and flipped over. I guess it depends on how much air is in the tires. So far so good.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the axle is bolted with U-bolts directly to the box frame. Tires are regular 25inch tires on 12inch rims that I could remove and put on the ATV in a pinch. I run about 5psi in the tires and it does bounce a little when empty.

Axle is a 2000lb axle as each hub can carry 1000lbs. I can tell you that after filling the box with gravel, the ATV was barely able to pull it but the trailer never had an issue. I have put an entire moose in or on the trailer and you hardly know it was there.

I am working on a flatbed trailer right now and I am thinking of making it an independent axle with swing arms. But, I have not had time to start it yet. They are very handy for hauling what ever you can put in it.

I have crossed creeks that are over the tires and the trailer actually floats! kind of spooky with a current in a creek when the trailer goes sideways.

SJ

Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey guys – this is off topic, but your opinions are important.

Please vote.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by AlabamaDan
Good potential thread. I've been thinking of doing the same thing this spring. I guess alot of it depends on how you go camping. Some people go extralight and only have to have 5lbs or stuff. Some are used to camping out of a Jeep and have lots. (I'm in the 2nd group)

At the basics we need:
1. ATV Items
2. Lighting
3. Shelter
4. Medical Supplies
5. Food and Water
6. Cooking Supplies
7. Clothing
8. Hunting Items
9. Misc

Ok. Let's think through the categories

1. ATV Items. Just like a cowboy and his horse, we have to take care of the ATV. After going through it completely before the trip, what else could be needed:

a. Fuel - Plan how far you'll go and what your MPG is.
b. Tire Repair Kit - Maybe some plugs and one of those tools
c. A can of Fix a Flat
d. Basic Tool Kit - Multi Screwdriver, Pliers, Basic Wrenchs, Hose Clamps, Zip Ties, Duct Tape, Recovery Strap
e. Tire Pump/compressor

2. Lighting. This could be anything from a coleman lantern, to a headlamp. Just remember extra fuel and/or batteries.

3. Shelter - A tent and/or sleeping bag. Depends on the person and weather. I'd at least have one of each, but it could be as simple as a tarp.

4. Medical Supplies - I'd always carry a basic first aid kit and know how to use it. Might also consider bug repellant and sunscreen.

5. Food and Water - A lot of this depends on the person too. Some people like to eat nice when camping, some not so much. You could survive for a few days on Ramen Noodles, but I'd want something else. This can get bulky and heavy quickly. For water you can carry it, or you could carry some form of purification method with you.

6. Cooking Supplies - Depending on what goes in #5, you may need a stove, pots and pans, etc. Don't forget that you'll have to have fuel also. You could ditch the stove and use the fire, but it requires more still and you need to have the ability to make a fire.

7. Clothing - Depends on the person. If it was just me I'd probably just have one change of clothes for a weekend trip. Don't forget about deoderant, glasses, contact cleaner, contacts, hair brush. I use baby wipes when I go camping to wipe down before bed. It's kinda like a shower.

8. Hunting Supplies - Here's a whole other category. Clothes, Guns, Knives, Bone Saw, Cooler and Ice, Permits, Binoculars

9. Misc Stuff - There's always other stuff to carry. Cell Phone and maybe an extra battery. Maps. A book to read or journal to write in. A camera. Maybe a shovel/axe. Garbage bags. Radio for Weather. Gloves.

Remember Pack it in - Pack it out.
thanks for this AlabamaDan..I found it very useful...