Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Swisher Trail Mower

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 01:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a swisher 44 inch rough cut trail mower this weekend and ran 3 tanks of gas through it in 2 days . I had been looking at these things for a long time but i didn't wanna pay the price.
I didn't know the rough cut model existed until a few weeks ago. It has break away blades just like on a real bush hog type mower. I pulled it centered behind the quad and i thought it worked great. The only downside to that is you mash down the some of the weeds with the quad. But hey it's a rough cut mower.
They advertise it will cut 1.5 saplings and i will stand behind that. The hitch that they supply has heim joint type of thing you are supposed to bolt to the hitch. I have used it so far but i think i will ditch that.
I will fix up a tongue under my 2 inch ball so you don't have to remove the ball to mow.
I am happy with it so far, the fan was running alot on my Rubicon creeping along in Low at 4 mile an hour but i would still rather pull it with that then a Garden Tractor. That would take all the fun out of it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the update on this swisher product; i've been looking at them for a few months - how easy is it to adjust the height? the areas i need to cut are not very level.. how does it operate in areas where there are lots of ups and downs in the terrain?

did you buy it from a local dealer, or have it shipped directly to you?

thanks for the info!

josh
02 rubicon

Old 06-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Range Rover

Josh,
The height adjustment is done in two places at the hitch and with a handle at the rear of the mower. I haven't played with that a whole lot to be honest . If you set it to low the front of the mower will dig in,but even if it did the blades where not on the dirt .
I pulled it over what i thought was some pretty uneven terrian and only had the blades dig in once. The little briggs engine didn't like that but it didn't stop it. The incident kinda gave me a gage as to what not to try with it.
If you wanna see what i mowed with it let me know and i will take some pics with a digital camera and email you a few.
The way the deck is built though it protects the blades fairly well i think unless you hit a big stump or some other hidden obstacle. I would recommend walking what you plan to mow if you are unsure or can't see from the quad for thick growth. Just to be on the safe side.
And i bought the mower at a place called Farm King. The people working there are Yo-Yo's but it was close.
Darrin

Old 06-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

thanks again for the info - i'm impressed with the swisher product line, so you're info will help me make the purchase (right after i convince my fiance that i also need the quadivator).

i have a source for swisher products in new hampshire - their prices seem to be 10-15% less than other places on the web, so i'll have to live their their lack of knowledge (i tend to think that there are very few people out there who use the quad they way you're using it..).

one last question - how to you control the blade from the quad? is there an easy-to-mount control mechanism which you can easily remove once you're done using the mower unit?

and if it's not too much trouble, please snap a picture, i'd love to see what the mower can do. i have well over 100 acres of land with close to 15 miles of semi-groomed trails, most of which could stand to be mowed to keep the saplings from taking control.

thanks again for the info!

josh

Old 06-04-2002, 05:53 AM
Range Rover

Josh,
Right now i have the engagement lever mounted on the tongue of the mower itself. I plan on mounting the lever to a piece of plywood with holes drilled in it that i can use heavy duty zip ties to fasten to the rack itself.
Then i will just cut it off when i am done, that idea may give way to bolts.
I haven't really put much thought into it yet. I been having to much fun mowing over stuff.
Funny how what seems fun changes as you get older. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like you're having more fun with that thing than you're supposed to! tell ya what, when you're done, bring it over to the farm.. with over 100 a. i think i could keep you busy until it snows.

sounds like the mounting mechanism is an easy issue to resolve. twist ties are ideal - i'm sure you could get bolts to mount it, but that seems like a lot of time just to take it on and off when you mow. for what i'll be using it for i would use the twist ties.. fast and convenient.

looking at the swisher quadivator right now, if the dealer will offer me a package deal i'll purchase both units at the same time.

you're right, as one gets older these 'chores' become more and more fun!

thanks again for the info.

josh
02 rubicon