Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

utility/fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2000, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't believe that with all the people that visit this forum there isn't any stories about hunting fishing or agriculture.i shot two deer last year and pulled them both out with my grizzly.i also build fence for my horse's every year in the spring, sure is alot easier with a wheeler. and i still have time to beat it in the mud and snow !
moose cv guard's
winch
koplin gun boot
and black water's

Old 04-13-2000, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

I'm glad you brought this up Griz. I use my quad more than I use my tractor.
I have a couple of acres that I can't mow with the tractor because it's too steep. Last weekend I borrowed a buddy of mine's pull behind bushhog. Man, it works great. The grass was literally over my knees and it plowed right through it. Do you mow with yours? I'm curious what it's gonna do when it gets really hot this summer. I assume you ride a Grizzly? I have a 400 Foreman. It's oil cooled not water cooled like the Grizzly. I hope this doesn't cause a problem.
I haven't had the opportunity to drag out a dear yet. The last one I got was 50 yard from my back door. I'm hoping to get one off of my friends farm next year though.

Old 04-13-2000, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a small set of discs that I use to make food plots for deer hunting. They are good for making small plots that a tractor can't make. I also use my 4 wheeler for mashing briars around existing food plots and pulling downed trees out of the way. I hauled out 4 deer last season on my honda 3004wd.

Old 04-13-2000, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

my bike is a grizzly they are oil cooled to. i haven't mowed yet but i have a set of rock harrow's that i pull alot. i wish the deer would come that close to my door i wouldn't sell my wheeler i would just shoot 1 more a year. 3 is my state limit im not a poacher.

Old 04-13-2000, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

when u mow with a quad if it starts to get hot, just unhook the mowed and do a few laps around the field. Just be sure ur goin fast enough to move alot of air over the evgine or radiator. If u do this when you think its gettin too hott you wont over heat anything and as soon as you get it cooled down a little bit, u can start mowing agian. Have fun man

Old 04-14-2000, 02:31 AM
Range Rover

Hey grizzzz,

You've got some nice territory up there. As for deer hunting I've had to rely on the good graces of the local game warden and his road kill for my venison lately. No matter how still I sat, they all saw me first. Here are some pics -

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/scavanau1
(In the "hunting" folder you'll see the last little skipper that got dropped off. Freshly hit, the warden didn't realize it was only stunned. When he walked out to the back of his truck to show it to us, it was staring at us! He dragged it out, had to shoot it twice behind the ear, then knelt on it to finally suffocate it. Its legs were broken so it sounds cruel but was justified.

Old 04-14-2000, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Well, since you asked...

I bought a 450ES in October of '98 to use as a tractor on my hobby farm (Christmas Trees plus some timber). It seemed a much better fit given lighter weight, lower cost, and greater safety (when was the last time you heard an ATV recommended for safety) than a tractor. Then I found out it was fun.

For farm work I use it mainly to get tools and supplies to the worksite and back quickly. Planting, fence mending, and brush clearing all take an amazing amount of stuff to accomplish, and no matter how well planned, you always need to go back for something else. So I have an all-terrain cart to haul dirt, firewood, water, earth-augers, whatever -- quickly and without heavy lifting.

This year I bought a flail mower just to tiddy up the fields. A flail uses short chains on a lateral shaft rather than the traditional rotary blade. It takes up less space in storage and has a much shorter turning radius, plus its much less likely to be damaged by a rock. Its great fun to watch the brush and weeds drop so quickly while playing farmer. I do have some concerns about the 450 overheating in the heat of summer, but so far so good.

I've also used it to pull logs across a creek for a bridge -- what we call a "foot log" -- a one log crossing with one cable for a railing. Very effective.

One side note about the preceding story of the not-quite-dead deer. Field and Stream (I think) did an article on "killer white tails" that described the various ways people get killed by deer. One of the most common ways was from approaching a not-quite-dead deer. They recommeded always comming up from behind to avoid getting ripped ("gutted" if you will) by an antler. Also, the general rule (not fool-proof) is that its dead if its eyes are open. If its eyes are closed, its most likely alive and may fight back. I forget the statistics, but a surprising number of people are killed by deer each year, just one more thing to be careful about.

Old 04-14-2000, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

sound's like nice country. it also sound's like you have alot of good riding area.i wish i could come down and jump on that recon and get the grand tour and build a little fence or a bridge. as far as pruning your christmas trees your on your own, that job will give you a stiff neck !!! the first deer that hurt's me will probably force me into a safer hobby . my grizzly run's hot in the summer im going to order the heat shield from high lifter and give that a try.

Old 04-14-2000, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Actually, its kind of an ATV paradise. Our farm is in a 20 mile valley with a mostly dirt road down winding down the center. While there are cabins and small farms along the road, the bulk of it is state game lands with logging roads, power lines, and pipe line cuts. Everyone has at least one ATV and they are used as daily transportation. There is a real live-and-let-live attitude and we just jump on them to run to the store or go visiting. Its one of those places where people still wave as you go by -- yes even to passing ATVers. It gets a little crowded during peak hunting and fishing seasons so riding in the woods is not cool then (particularly hunting season), but the rest of the time, I park my truck on arrival and don't use it till I drive out. Very cool.

Old 04-14-2000, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

how many acre's is your farm? is it a dairy farm. we have a small horse barn 28 by 32 it hold's about 1000 bail's of hay. we have just over 10 acre's. my elevation is about 1750 feet above sea level and last but not least maple syrup season should be over any day now the guy next to tap's about 3500 tree's boiling sap is alot of fun. with the right amount of beer.[ secret ingredient]