Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Noob

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob

Hi. I've been thinking about getting an ATV for a while and have been rearranging things to make that happen. The only ATV I've ever ridden and that's been very limited, is a 3-wheeler so I'm as green as they come. I live 20 miles from an OHV area so it seems like this is something I can easily do. I'm thinking a 4wd quad is what I want and know ZERO about any of them. I've been doing a lot of reading on the various Manufacturer sites so I kinda know who the players are. It looks like there are tons of choices. I'd like to go used if I could to save money, but I could do a new one too. Anyway that's why I'm here to learn and look for guidance in choosing the right rig for me.

I've come to the conclusion if it doesn't burn fuel, it ain't any fun.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome. You might want to ask this question in the General ATV section to get more responses.

There are 4wd quads from 300cc all the way up to 1000cc. Most use a CVT transmission, some have a semi-automatic setup, and Honda has a real juice box transmission.

Generally speaking Can-Am gets the most HP per cc out of their quads and are a great all around machine. Polaris has powerful machines, great riding comfort, best on board storage options, and are also good all around machines. Yamaha has great all around machines too and are reliable. Suzuki also has good all around machines that are generally best for the buck price-wise. Kawasaki has a good machine but I don't care for the little lever you have to pull to lock in the front end. Don't know much about Arctic Cats. Honda is last on my list but probably best in reliability. It doesn't have a way of fully locking the front end. That is really only an issue where you have deep mud or steep rocky climbs where you might get a wheel off the ground or need that 4th tire turning fully. I live in New England and have been on more than a few trails where I've needed that extra bit of traction.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by MoJet

I've come to the conclusion if it doesn't burn fuel, it ain't any fun.

Welcome to the forums.

Ask a glider how he got up there.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Trailblazer

Welcome aboard............. Moose seems to have it all covered pretty good for you, A lot of the dealers will let you test drive them now, my suggestion is to go and check all the brands and models out in person, ask a lot of questions try to narrow your choices down and go back with more questions from there

Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys.

I've been reading a lot of posts here in various sections. I'll try and refrain from posting another "which one should I buy?" thread. I've already narrowed it down some and there is no need to bore you guys with that. I'll likely have more specific questions and I'll post those in the general section.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome