Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Cast vs "Spun" aluminum wheels - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cast vs "Spun" aluminum wheels - Help!

Hi everyone. I hope someone can steer me in the right direction with a purchasing decision. I was already to purchase the Douglas .190 rims and Goodyear Mudrunner 26" package from popular online tire and wheel vendor when the person I was speaking to started trying to talk me into purchasing the Vision cast aluminum rims instead. I guess they're slightly heavier, but that's about all I know about them. Any input from you guys will much appreciated. Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

As a rule, cast aluminum is the weakest form. But, unless you live in Moab you won't have a problem.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Gotmuddy. Upon further thought, if I hit something hard, are'nt the cast rims more prone to crack or break vs bending like the stock or Douglas rims? Anyone else out there with some preferences regarding cast aluminum or spun aluminum rims. Advantages - Disadvantages of both?

Old 05-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned both. I sold my ITP wheels. No biggy, but here is why.

Douglass rims are 6" wide front and 8" wide rear so tires fit a little more like they were intended. You are less likely to have rolling distance issues with douglass.

The spacing is the same as stock, which makes steering slightly easier. I feel that trail objects grab the itp spaced front tires a little more.

However, the ITP cast series is much better looking and the increased spacing make it more stable.

Old 05-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks nyroc. I think I will stick with my initial idea and go with the Douglas rims. You did'nt know it, but you are who got me going in that direction and also with the mudrunners! They are more expensive than my other choice which was the mudlites, but I've been convinced through my research and also my style of riding that I will like the mudrunners better. Your site is a treasure chest and the rest of the gang I read regularly here are also a wealth of information. Thank you to all of you.

My next project will be the black driven spring and a new belt. I have 950 miles and my belt has been squealing at takeoff for quite awhile now. I am also looking at Montana Jacks multi-mount system and winch, but my $$$ is'nt keeping pace with my mod ideas. LOL! After the tires and rims, I'll have to start saving again for awhile.

Again, thanks to all who post here. We have a very quality group of people here.

Mark

Old 05-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure you like mudrunners?
-They last really long
-fairly good in snow
-better in the mud than most, slightly better than itp 589 and mudlite.
-Rides smooth and handles pretty good.

A bit less traction on dry than you may want.
A bit less able to go over logs and rocks.
Vibrates a bit going slow.

They aren't bad.

Old 05-22-2003, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, here we go. Asking me if I'm sure just to put a little more doubt in my mind. LOL! I am 41 going on seventy. Severely broke my left arm (hence the nickname) the first weekend I had the awesome 650. Not sure how many times me and the bike flipped, but at some point during the flipping, we tangled. Now I don't do anything to rough. Ha Ha. I live in a development where we are allowed to ride atv's on our roads(27 miles worth). I will use the mudrunners only in the winter and on poker runs, etc. I'll ride the stockers on the roads in summer until they blow out from baldness, then replace with either Bighorns or ATR's on the stock rims. Waiting to hear initial reports on the bighorns after they come out.

Thanks again,

Mark[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2003, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the "C" series wheels look nice, but I was just looking at a 650 Prairie that hit a tree with the front tire... The center section was cracked out & the edge of the wheel was broken off by the bead & the tire was deflated... yes the quad had some front end damage, but was driveable, at least enough to get it back to the truck... if these had been machined wheels, it for sure would have been bent, but driveable... I'm diapointed that ITP has dropped the Magnum Billet wheel for the Prairie, I run these with special valve stems & they can be mounted front or rear ( they are only polished on one side though ) , this is perfect for use on my spare tire